• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apogee GT "Universal" Mount not fitting NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

Well, so much for that term "universal" - is there another hold-down plate for the Apogee GT that would fit on an Abit NF7-S? I decided to upgrade my wife's Socket A system to water cooling because we were sick of the loud fans with it being in the living room (though now that it's off, the D5 in MY rig is driving me batty with its pulsating humming EDIT: push-pull fan config on my radiator is causing a humming that's driving me batty. Blowing the dust off the front fan filters seems to have alleviated it for the most part, though. Guess it was always masked by her louder fans before), only to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of parts to find out the capacitors next to the cpu socket are too close and too tall for the Apogee to be able to sit down on the CPU.

So, two options:

A) Somebody knows a site where I can get a holddown plate that will fit on an NF7-S, or

B) The wife goes without a computer for two weeks, the socket A goes bye bye, and I get a mid-range C2D system to replace it (only problem is, that's a new cpu, motherboard, ram, and video card, because she's still running DDR1 and AGP graphics.) and we eat ramen noodles for another week like the good-ole days.

Last edited:
Note 2: AMD® socket 462 (socket A). The Apogee™ can be used exclusively with motherboards featuring the 4 mounting holes around the socket.
Note 3: Socket 462 compatibility (tall capacitors)

An optional hold-down plate raising kit is available for socket 462 motherboards featuring tall capacitors in the neighborhood of the socket. This kit raises the hold-down plate and allows up to 0.900" clearance (measured from motherboard to hold-down plate. The part # is AP-S462-R. This kit is available free of charge to users for all Apogee™ water-blocks purchased prior to 2-20-06. Qualifying users in the US are directed to call Swiftech customer service to procure the kit. Qualifying users outside of the US, please contact your Swiftech distributor in the area.

Not at all constructive to your problem, but every major upgrade i do, i seem to eat spartan, good job i like Toast..

John, major thanks for that info. Kinda funny, too - you're who I bought the block from. Customer service just abounds! :D I sent Michelle over at Swiftech an email; we'll see what she says.

Griff ... I don't even know what that means.

Last edited:
Back