• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Do You Know What the Chips Are?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
If you can't remove the spreaders, how do you know for sure what chips are on them? Don't vendors use other chips from time to time on the same brands and the assumptions being made on chip types can be incorrect?

Search feature and google are your friend. If a manu changes chips in certain mem, someone knows about and has posted it somewhere. You could also just ask. :)

Eldonko said:
Search feature and google are your friend. If a manu changes chips in certain mem, someone knows about and has posted it somewhere. You could also just ask. :)

I have asked Kingston directly. Most of the memory sticks in question are the Kingston Hyper X which many are stating are BH5 or BH6. Many are not all BH5 and BH6. I have a kit that are Infineon "and others."

inkfx said:
You can remove the heatspreaders its just that most of us don't feel like it. If you are looking at DDR2 memory this list was extremely helpful, http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/. Here is a sticky on DDR modules, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=415294.

edit - console, you're too quick.

These chips are "Infineon and others" according to the lot number from Kingston support. I don't see them listed for any Kingston RAMs. Isn't that OC Forums list a little outdated?

Attachments

• Kingston HX.JPG
    Kingston HX.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
For some RAM, the ability to set certain timings at certain frequency at a particular voltage level will identify the chip. :)

Super Nade said:
For some RAM, the ability to set certain timings at certain frequency at a particular voltage level will identify the chip. :)

S/N,

I'll take your word on that. I'm not that good! :( :D

Just looked up my Corsairs, what is PROMOS? Is it a promotional memory?! Lol

Super Nade said:
Promos are o.k when binned but are otherwise lower-end "replacements" for the Micron D9's. Not as good as the microns.

Hmm...kind of makes me angry...

RollingThunder said:
These chips are "Infineon and others" according to the lot number from Kingston support. I don't see them listed for any Kingston RAMs. Isn't that OC Forums list a little outdated?
Yeah that list may be outdated. I don't keep up with the DDR stuff anymore since I havn't used it in almost 6 months.

Super Nade said:
Will it run 2-2-2-5 IT @ 2.8 V DDR400 and at 245MHz 3.2V?

S/N,

Can't get anything to run 1T on this board yet. They will do 2-3-2-6 2T @ 2.6v DDR400. I'm not that adventuous going to 3.2v and probably can only go 3.05vdimm max. 230MHz @ 2.5-3-3-6 is all I took them to @ 2.8v.

They are only my spare set, they run just fine but are no comparison to the Patriot TCCDs.

Back