• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does bad memory corrupt other hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spirit

Registered
I'm just wondering if installing ram that's corrupt or has gone bad in some ways can cause other hardwares to stop working.

I got a ram module from my friend which was upgrading his computer and installed it on my computer. It worked fine for a while but then the graphics card started to go bad. Instead of showing the images normally on my computer, it would just show random stuff (fyi, the graphics card, and my computer, is about 4-5 years old). I took out the ram that I installed and it was still like that so I replaced the graphics card with one that I got from another friend a while back and it worked fine.

So far I haven't put the ram module back in cause I'm afraid the same thing will happen, and this time I don't have an extra graphics card to replace the one I'm using now. So I would just like to know if it's possible that the ram was the cause of the graphics card going bad, or if it was just a coincidence.

I have never heard of bad ram damaging other hardware, especially a video card.

There is a chance of a power surge taking out multiple things. OR even worse low power, which slowly tortures your computer parts into oblivion

Back