• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setup idea needs critique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaine16

Registered
Ok i am rather new to water cooling in the making but i have been reading posts on it for a year or so now and finally decided to do it. i have the armor case so i got plenty of room to play with plus i am planning on customizing the case to hide the cables etc. well less bsin and more talk.
i want to water cool my cpu and 2 vgas dunno if i should cool the north bridge most people say it is not necessary. on 22 once intel drops their prices i will be gettin a e6600 but my major problem is the graphic cards those things are runnin at like 60-70C constantly and the fans are loud as ****.

since i want to keep my contraption lolz :confused: in the case i was thinkin of gettin these parts
2x Swiftech MCW60 and 2 sets of zalman ram heatsinks
1x Danger Den RBX - 1/2", LGA 775
1x MCP655
1x Swiftech MCR-220 "Quiet Power"
1x res will be custom made by mwa cylinder about 3in wide and 15-16 long
6x fans
and the rest of the little crap
the tubing duno if i shold buy tygon enlighten the noob plz
DSCF0161.JPG
k the idea is to start from radiator to cpu since the block has 2 outs i will use one per graphic card then use a Y to combine them and lead to the res then to pump and finally to the rad LEME know if this makes sense
heres my primitive sketch
DSCF0165.JPG
i dont want to attach the rad on the back/top of the rig for various reasons so if this idea sucks it will be back to the makin a huge cube from plexi for the rad/pump and the rad will have 3 fans on each side the part with barbs facin the motherboard will have 3 LED ones suckin the air from the case and blowin it through the rad and 3 on other side will be blowin it out of the case

last and final is usin a piece of 1/4 plexi glass to cover ur motherboard a good idea of course holes will be made for blocks mem etc and for the north south bridge i would install little strong *** fans to blow on em in the plexi

Your overall plan seems sound. You seem to have already learned most of what you need to know. :beer:

Kaine16 said:
i dont want to attach the rad on the back/top of the rig for various reasons so if this idea sucks it will be back to the makin a huge cube from plexi for the rad/pump and the rad will have 3 fans on each side the part with barbs facin the motherboard will have 3 LED ones suckin the air from the case and blowin it through the rad and 3 on other side will be blowin it out of the case
I'm not sure I'm following you here. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it's generally a good idea to feed fresh air to the rad, as the rad exhaust will still be cool enough for the things in your case that need air cooling. Do it the other way around, an you're essentially putting the load of the non-watercooled components on the rad too.

Be sure your case doesn't restrict flow through the radiator.

last and final is usin a piece of 1/4 plexi glass to cover ur motherboard a good idea of course holes will be made for blocks mem etc and for the north south bridge i would install little strong *** fans to blow on em in the plexi
Your intent is to use the plex to channel air across the mobo? This is not a bad idea, but it needs to be planned carefully. You want some air flowing across the entire board. You might want to make a prototype out of cheap plastic sheeting with a plywood or cardboard frame. Then you can observe your temps do some smoke tests, and/or aim a non-contact thermometer at suspected hot spots before you cut your plex.

If you were planning to seal off the mobo, maybe to protect it from leaks, don't. This will likely cause cooling problems with components that don't ordinarily get that hot, and if you do spring a leak, the coolant will probably get behind your plex shield anyway. Just make sure your hose clamps and barbs are tight and leak test with no power to your electronics.

well i am reading my post and i found one big major mistake the rad is a 2x120 not 3x120
plan 1
well heres the idea if you look at my case theres a 120 and 90 fan in the back where the motherboard is and a 90 from the top right by the powersupply. my idea was for all those 3 fans to be suckin in fresh air so the rad will have plenty of it.
plan 2
reverse my fans on the rad so the 2 from the front panel side will be suckin in air and the other 2 on the other side blowin it into the case. of course this may be a problem with hot air in the case so i was thinkin to mont 2-3 fans on the side panel that would suck out all the hot air as soon as it gets out of the rad.

and ya my idea of plexi was to stop leaks but you made a good point. i could instal 2 of those digital thermometers to the north/south bridge and mount those on the plexi. as for the air flow there will be 2 fans for north/south bridge and 3 little ones mounted on the ram (corsair ones from dominator series). i could also install more fans at a 90deg to the plexi blowin air across the whole mobo

anyway i know its hard to visualize unless u have it all planned out in ur head so i will start my work within a month to post some pice of my ideas

I would suggest either a FuZion or Apogee GT/GTX waterblock. You will have a lot of heat for that rad and if it must be a 120.2 I would get a ThermoChill PA120.2. As stated have the rad pulling in air from the outside and allow the air to be pulled across the motherboard and exhausted out the back.

On Conroe motherboards the NB does get pretty hot and depending on if you plan on over-clocking will determine if cooling it is needed. I had a Swiftech MCX-159CU on mine and now have shifted it to my SB and installed a MCW30 on my NB. I only run a measley 7600GT KO so I have no where near the heat dump that you will experience. For the little difference in rad price I would consider a PA120.3 and mount it on the top of the case. just my $.015

Also.... 7/16"id x 5/8"od tubing over 1/2" barbs, either Tygon or MasterKleer.

Back