• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Cleaner in loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WonderingSoul

Team 32 Folding Member
Anyone know if it is safe to put copper cleaner in my loop? My TDX is a sight for sore eyes and don't want to pull the whole thing out. Is it safe to put a few drops of copper cleaner in my loop of MCT40/5 (I ran out of MCT40 and put a little of MCT5 I had left over into it) without damaging anything?

WonderingSoul said:
Anyone know if it is safe to put copper cleaner in my loop? My TDX is a sight for sore eyes and don't want to pull the whole thing out. Is it safe to put a few drops of copper cleaner in my loop of MCT40/5 (I ran out of MCT40 and put a little of MCT5 I had left over into it) without damaging anything?

Copper polish? Any metal cleaner is either an etcher or an abrasive, their of which will treat your pump very well...

Not a polish. It's a chemical I have used in my chemistry class to restore the luster to copper. It's some kind of liquid.

Whipe it on with a q-tip then just rinse with water.

WonderingSoul said:
Not a polish. It's a chemical I have used in my chemistry class to restore the luster to copper. It's some kind of liquid.

Whipe it on with a q-tip then just rinse with water.

It's an etching compound, eats away the top (corroded) layer of metal leaving a shinny surface.

I'm not sure what exactly it would do to your lines and pump, but I'm sure it wouldn't be good.
Dan

BobcatDan said:
It's an etching compound, eats away the top (corroded) layer of metal leaving a shinny surface.

I'm not sure what exactly it would do to your lines and pump, but I'm sure it wouldn't be good.
Dan

I am 99% sure it is not a buffing compound. I will have to ask the professor what the substance is though.

Mycobacteria said:
Would you use this chemical to wash your hands?

Sounds like its highly corosive to me..

I have gotten it on my hands before and no negative effects happened to me. I will have to wait and speak with my professor to find out what the actual chemical is.

WonderingSoul said:
I am 99% sure it is not a buffing compound. I will have to ask the professor what the substance is though.

An etcher is not a buffing compound, it chemically strips the surface. I doubt it will only react with copper, so it would etch anything metal in your loop (pump), and most likely the tubing as well. More than that, I doubt a few drops would do anything to clean your block, and if it does then you have dissolved copper in your water.
Dan

EDIT: If you have some, soak some tubing in it and see what happens.

Back