• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions, Exos 1 w/ new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerix01

I have a Koolance Exos 1 that I bought a few years ago. I never got around to buying the waterblocks and actually using the thing (needed money for other things). Now I just built a new system and wanted to make use of my wasted money.

New system parts I want to cool:

Athlon X2 3600 (65nm)
Nforce 590 based motherboard
8800GTS 320MB

From the info I have come across it seems like this setup will work. The Exos 1 is rated for about 500 Watts of heat dissipation and claims that you can connect up to six waterblocks on the loop. The processor is rated for a max TDP of 65 Watts, NB should be no more than 30 Watts, and the 8800GTS is about 150 Watts of heat. So at 245 Watts of heat with three waterblocks it looks like I'm well within the specs for an Exos 1. I have been told I need at least 1/2" tubing (vs 1/4"), but the component giving off the most heat (the 8800) will be at the end of the loop so I don't see the tube size being a big issue.

I would like to do some overclocking with this system but only the cpu. I would also like to add a second video card at some point, bringing my overall heat up to 395 Watts (not counting overclock heat).

So what do you guys think, am I missing something? People on other forums don't seem to give me much to go off of, they just say Koolance is crap and it won't work, but they don't say much to back this up.

If only planning to oc the cpu I'd leave the stock cooler on the 8800. Its fan is quiet, big improvement from what they used to put on older cards. The Koolance should do a good job on the cpu and nb, especially if you opt for newer blocks. Certainly offers ease of use. Disregard the naysayers.

Well I'm still mostly in aw at the 8800 and just am not thinking of overclocking at the moment but does not mean I won't ;) . I also have a thing against small fans. I don't trust them and I have had both a northbridge fan die and a video card fan die on me (a GeForce 1, lol) and my last card (the 6800GT) came close, got a bit too clogged up with dust but recovered after a good cleaning. I'm in the process of dust proofing my new case but I would prefer to still water cool the video card.

So do you think the Exos 1 could handle at least the one card? What about two?

Zerix01 said:
From the info I have come across it seems like this setup will work. The Exos 1 is rated for about 500 Watts of heat dissipation and claims that you can connect up to six waterblocks on the loop.
500 watts at what coolant to air differential? That's very important, because if you triple the temp diff, you triple the the amount of heat a rad can shed. Of course, you also raise the temperature of all the watercooled components as well.

Six waterblocks of what sort? Do they say how much head the pump has?

Have you got physical specs for your your Exos-1 or pics of its innards? Koolance doesn't seem to be making it anymore, and I didn't find any in depth info with a quick search.

So what do you guys think, am I missing something? People on other forums don't seem to give me much to go off of, they just say Koolance is crap and it won't work, but they don't say much to back this up.
On Koolance in general, I have to agree. I've never tried any of their stuff, but I've heard very little good about their parts, and their aluminum-uber-alles propaganda page discussed in this thread
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=508374
is enough to convince me they're on the same level as Thermaltake. After reading that, I'd put their 500 watt rating for the Exos in a bucket of salt and leave it there until garbage day.

Here is an old review of the Exos that shows the insides. As for other specs I don't know what you mean by coolant to air differential, a link for more information would be nice :cool: . I think the pumps are rated at 1L/minute, one site I saw this on just says 1L/minute, another says per pump.

I mean the difference in temperature between the coolant and the air entering the rad. If a rad can dissipate 100w with the coolant 5c warmer than the air, it will dissipate 500w with the coolant 25c warmer than the air, but you're not likely to get a very good CPU load temp. ;)

Well throwing some information form their web site together, since they claim the average difference in temperature from block to block is 1 degree C, and they claim a maximum of 6 water blocks, then one could say for a 6 degree C difference in water would provide 500 Watts of heat dissipation.

But like I said that is just throwing some general product information together. I think I should contact Koolance directly about this.

It's the difference between the temperature of the water and the temperature of the air we're talking about here.

Take anything Koolance tells you with plenty of salt. There is some egregious disinformation on their site.

Back