• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

single Vs double Vs tripple rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rajanm1

i was just wondering how much of a difference it would make.
setup will be a asetek waterchill CPU block and asetek xtreme pump
e6600 CPU and possibly cool a 8800gts if i can get a block for a good price.
are two singles as good/better than a double because i have not realy got enough space to put in a double without cutting my new case :rolleyes:

also how much difference would having fans on both sides make?

thanks

If you are just going to cool the cpu or a gpu then a singe radiator should do the job just fine. If you are cooling both the cpu AND the gpu together then I would recommend a double radiator.

I would use a double rad if you intend to cool both cpu and gpu. Its a lot simpler imo than using two single rads, which just give you more points of failure.

Using a push/pull setup can give you a little more performance over just pulling through the rad. Adds more noise usually though.

the problem is that to have a double rad i would have to cut out some of my new case which i do not want to do, wel not yet anyway.

rajanm1 said:
the problem is that to have a double rad i would have to cut out some of my new case which i do not want to do, wel not yet anyway.
Two things:

First of all, a bigger radiator pretty much has more capacity to cool. It doesn't guarantee your temps to be significantly lower, but it does help in dissipating heat for a LARGER LOAD.

For example, if you try to cool just an Athlon XP CPU running stock, I'm sure you'd get the same temps on a single rad as you would on a triple rad b/c of the low heat load.

Now, that being said... SECONDLY, I'd like to say that I have two watercooled rigs. My first uses a BIX2 (double rad) with 2x120x38mm Deltas. My second rig uses two SINGLE rads in the water loop... each with a push-pull setup. Both rigs perform similarly with temps and their capacities.

So, if you have trouble fitting a double rad, you could always see if it's possible to hook up two single rads for a similar performance. :)

by the way I thought that triple was spelled with only one p. I see it all over with two. Am I off my rocker? Does it have 2?

Anyways I would put the biggest rad in your box that you can fit/afford. A lot of overhead is always better than borderline. You will have less of potential problems + being able to use 3 really quiet fans instead of 2 pretty quiet or 1 kind of loud fan + the ability to add components if you need to (8800 sli anyone?) or the ability to upgrade the system to something more powerful without having to reinvest and relearn a whole new system (I say relearn because I think everyone gets a little habituated the components they use for a long time, they know their little quirks)

Good luck delving into the world of aqua. I wish I had the money/time to do so myself.

triple

triplets... mmmm...

If you want the most bang for your buck, sell your video card and get the GTX... water is for quiet+performance, not very price efficient... like raptors...

Good water is about $250, great air is about $100.

As for sandwich fans... about 0.5-1°C, maybe less.

I bet you could get about 80% performance of water if you went with a tower cooler for your CPU+ HR-05 for the 8800gts... for about 1/2 the price or less.

Maviryk said:
triple

triplets... mmmm...

If you want the most bang for your buck, sell your video card and get the GTX... water is for quiet+performance, not very price efficient... like raptors...

Good water is about $250, great air is about $100.

As for sandwich fans... about 0.5-1°C, maybe less.

I bet you could get about 80% performance of water if you went with a tower cooler for your CPU+ HR-05 for the 8800gts... for about 1/2 the price or less.
watercooling can be used again in the future, though... you don't have to change your equipment too often, and a lot of waterblocks are universal or have upgradeable kits for them. i think it was a good investment for me. :)

Back