• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lightpaw

Registered
Heyho everyone!

I'm just in the progress of building a new system, and my supplier has patriot ddr800 (cl5) quite cheaply. Looking at those forums tho, there is hardly anything to be found about patriot memory? i wondered if there's anything wrong with them and if i should rather go with some corsairs or whatever ram, but then, i dislike paying premiums just for a name ;)

on another note, does cl4 make much of a difference? will have a e6600 running (hopefully at 400fsb) :)

greetings!
Lightpaw

Patriot as a company have a very solid reputation with the DDR1 market. I have no reason to believe it would be different with DDR2. Their customer service is pretty decent. A good but under the radar company.

Rumor has it that at one point, the OEM'ed for OCZ. ;)

thanks for the answer nade!
that sounds much to my liking (and even more to my wallet's liking ^^)

how about the difference between cl4 and cl5? do i have any real world benefit from it that would justify paying 25-30% more?

greeties
Lightpaw

I'm using patriot memory and it works well for me. I bought the higher priced 4-4-4-12 memory but I'm not sure how much it helps.

Patriot

For what its worth, I have been using Patriot memory in system builds for 4 years. My supplier tested several different brands and found less conflict with this memory than the others, they said. I have never had to send a stick back and have built and sold probably 75 computers with this brand. I do not oc the systems and dont know if the people who bought them ever did any oc'ing with this memory but it is stable and fairly priced.

Good luck with your decision

CL4 makes little real-world performance difference a couple percent at most. Most good CL5 DDR2 ram will run at CL4 with a small voltage bump to 2.1V (and you will find I think that most CL4 DDR2 800 ram is rated at 2.1V).

Just to let you know... I ended up picking up this:
ONE STICK 1gb Patriot DDR2-800 5-5-5-16 @ NewEgg for $67 - $10 MIR = $57 AR

I put it into a Biostar TForce 6100 AM2 motherboard, and set the motherboard vdimm jumper to 2.2v

The stick now runs 12+ hours prime stable at 4-4-4-11-16, 385mhz.

All I did was flash the mobo bios (which automatically sets those timings instead of stock timings of 5-5-5-16). I never played with the other extra timings manually, so I'm sure there was more headroom. Also, I'm not sure if it was the CPU or not but I couldn't go beyond 385mhz... coulda been my CPU holding back, but I was satisfied there (it was a build for my brother, and I'd already spent enough time on the system)

Hope this is informative for ya...

Back