• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding ram---need advice--long

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osage923

Registered
It all started when I bought a used computer really really cheap. It arrived as somewhat a basket case---infected with over 4000 pieces of malware and running bad. After patiently getting rid of all the malware, I discovered that the motherboard drivers were not even installed. After correcting all this, I had a stable computer with no more BSOD's, that seemed to run a little slow for the hardware. And a download of cpu-z showed why---it was running its 768 MB of pc3200 ram at less than PC2100 speeds.---and now I am trying to correct this and find this strange new world of overclocking--and please do not let any familiarity of jargon fool anyone---I have been trying to read up but am woefully short of any practical experience.

But to get to the system spec which will not make anyone here green with envy.
Asrock K8NF4G-SATA2 MB, socket 754 sempron 64 bit 3000+ cpu, running XP pro OS---with valid coa, 80 GB sata harddrive, bios updated to ver 1.3, and 768 MB ram in a board with only two ram slots capable of PC3200 DDR---and its my understanding that a socket 754 makes ddr2 not an option. With a geforce 6100 on board video chip sharing anywhere from 64-128 MB of ram.
Ram slot one=corsair vs512mb400----cpu-z reported spd of 2.5-3-3-8
ram slot two=nanya NT256D64S88B1G-5T which cpu-z reports spd's as a trispeed stick---showing timings as 2-2-2-6@pc2100, 2.5-3-3-7@pc2700, and 3-3-3-8@pc3200. ( on the bright side---repeated runs of memtest86 show ram no errors at any speed I have run them on thus far.)

But leaving my bios on all auto memory settings results in cpu-z reporting my memory frequency is something on the order of 124.1 Mhz and not the ideal
200 it should be. So to just get standard settings I have to overclock. And have been trying to do for the past few months with spotty and only temporary results.

And reading the stickies here get me confused on a few points (1) My motherboard manual clearly states--to over clock I should take memory off auto and select cpu,pcie/Async. (2) I am somewhat confused about cool and quiet---but at idle my 1.8 GHZ processor runs at a multiplier of 5x200 and smoothly throttle up to a multiplier of 9x200 under load. Given the fact my system runs very cool now with no reported temperatures above 100 degrees
F, should I leave cool and quiet as is or disable power savings?

But speaking of temporary---right now--I have the memory running at a frequency of cpu-z reported 201.4 Mhz, fsb dram cpu/5, @ 2.5-3-3-7 @2T,
bank cycle of 10, and a dram idle of 16. ( and strangely the bios does not allow me to select the more logical timings of 3-3-3-8 ) But been there done that---it seldom stays and seemingly after a random number of reboots I am suddenly back to a frequency of 124 MHZ---and the other speaking of temporary, I have finally located a brand new stick of corsair vs1gb400 really really cheap--so in a day or so the nanya stick will be history. But will still be dealing with a slight spd mismatch--because the 512mb stick have a cas of 2.5 and the 1gb stick only comes in cas3.---but the other timings of 3-3-8 are the same.

So my long preamble leads up to the questions---once I remove the nanya stick in slot 2, replace it with the 512mb stick from slot one, and then add the
1GB stick in slot one, what can I do to (a) Insure it runs at at least PC3200.
(b) Insure that after a number of reboots it won't reset to some slower setting. (c) If I still have trouble should I just remove the cas 2.5 chip in slot 2 and run the 1GB stick by itself? (d) As as somewhat a joker question--would you push for more if you owned the system?---and I should explain I am not a gamer---have no heavy current memory needs---but it sure feels slow at pc2100 and I might at some future date upgrade this to vista---and might even consider replacing the sempron with faster athlon 64
with a bigger cache.---but you should know by now---I gotta find it really really cheap.---and I have more time than money.

Any replies appreciated. ( I do note that this evening I edited out a minor typo on mobo designation )

Last edited:
to be honest with you, i am not very familiar at all with the 754 platform. but have you tried resetting the cmos? if you have the mobo manual it should point out a jumper on the board that will clear it. if not, then i would type the model of the mobo +"pdf" into google, and see if you can find an electronic version of the mobo manual.

and after you do all that, it might not even be the problem. to me, a64's are a bit confusing with all of the ratios and multipliers. i am positive someone in the AMD section would be able to give better advice than me.

if you don't get a working solution here in the next day or so, i would start a new thread there. once they get your ram sorted, i'm sure someone could help you oc the cpu a bit... :)

good luck, and welcome to the forums.

:welcome:

Well all i know is that pci bus should be set to 33mhz and fsb to 200 and the memory to 1:1 or 200mhz which is x2 for DDR400 aka PC3200.
I always disabled Cool and quite.System just seemed slow with it enabled.Unless the cpu tends to run very hot then id leave it on.

How cheap is cheap for you?.But you should beable to pick up a 3200+ or something for well under $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103035

also i can not find your mobo anywhere are you sure the name is right.Asrock K8NR4G-SATA2.Is this a OEM board from HP or Dell or something?

Last edited:
To answer a few questions---I do have a mobo manual---I have not jumper reset my bios--nor update it to ver 1.7 yet as I do not know it will help.---and yes the ram is off auto in the bios and is set to run at 200mhz.

And I see I have a minor typo---as gigabit noticed---its an asrock K8NF4G-SATA2---which is listed on the asrock site as a socket 754 board.

And as soon as it arrives, the bought and paid for corsair vs1gb400 will be used, the 256mb nanya stick will be history and the corsair
vs1gb400 will be added to replace it. I am just hoping it will run well with the other stick of corsair vs512mb400---and will need help if it does not.

Last edited:
In general, mixing different types/brands/sizes/densities of memory is a BAD idea. The only way to know if these will run together is to install and test. My suggestion would be to remove all your existing memory first, clear CMOS, and then test the new 1gb stick by itself. Disable SPD and set the memory timings manually to 2.5,3,3,7 and memory voltage to 2.7v - 2.8v range. If it runs fine, add the 512 stick and see what happens. Make sure you have the latest bios flashed also.

To Yellowbeard XMS,

I have heard that don't mix ram before and I sure am not saying you are wrong. But because I had a just 2 memory slot board, I had felt it best to go with a gig stick rather than another 512mb.---and if worse comes to worse, and I have to run the gig stick by itself, I can later opt to get another gig of the same.

But your advice somewhat surprises me---as corsair stock listings for the vs1gb400 is 3-3-3-8@2T----and you say 2.5.-3-3-7 using spd instead of manual bios settings. And oddly enough is exactly the speeds--while it lasts,
that my current combo of corsair and nanya runs at in pc3200---and if I manually select the more conservative bios timings of 3-3-3-8---it then never runs at pc3200---and instead always clocks at pc2100. And I should also note, that with my bios, as soon as I select use spd, the options to select ram timing no longer exist.

But when my ram comes I will use my only variant of your advice--set everything to auto, and see what happens in terms of timings. If I can just keep PC3200 speeds and never experience the bios resetting itself to pc2100, I will have made a huge gain.

But still I remain puzzled on why you recommend 2.5-3-3-7 when the corsair site lists the spd timings as 3-3-3-8 for vs1gb400? And am also puzzled on why my mobo seems to like your advice also.

Actually, I specified to disable SPD and to set timings manually. Also, we have made a CAS2.5 and a CAS3 version of the VS so that is why I quoted the spec wrong in your case. 3,3,3,8 set manually will likely be your best bet.

But, most of this is speculation until you install and test. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Well the ram finally arrived---pitched the nanya stick---moved the vs512mb400 512 mb stick to slot two, installed the vs1gb400c3 in slot one, and basically fired it up after taking the Yellowbeard XMS advice on bios setting.

System showed all 1536 mb of ram recognized--but no joy--as predicted it downclocked to a memory bus speed of pc2100. Nor did 5 other combinations of bios settings get me over that pc2100 hill.

But setting 6---overclock on pcie async, ram on 200, ram timings all auto, and memory compatibility disabled, got me up and running at pc3200. And showed timings of 2.5-3-3-7 @2T. Too early to tell if it will be stable and not reset on me, but memtest86 shows no errors. Its a slight overclock of stock settings, but time will tell.

Good luck with it! Which is what I am hoping for.

But I do ask the question of other more expert than I---is this a dangerous overclock likely to damage the ram--especially since value ram is not made for overclocking---or is this likely to be safe long term?---especially since I stepped out for a few hours---and all the while it ran five full passes of all eight memtest routines with no errors.

And can any give me a clue on why my mobo does not seem to like 3-3-3-8?

Hard to tell but, your OC is not dangerous at all. You are not over volting the memory. If it gets warm, put a fan on it and you'll be fine.

Back