• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TDX CPU Block -- Am I missing the spacers? Need help ASAP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sofakng

Registered
I bought a used TDX CPU block for my socket 939 Opteron. My seller sent me all of the parts (eg. springs, washers, etc) but I also ordered an extra set of them from Petra's Tech Shop.

Both sets of parts are identical: about 10 flat washers, 4 "fatter" washers, screws, nuts (lock nuts and hand-tightening nuts), and springs.

...however there are no "spacers" in either set of parts I have!

Am I missing them from BOTH sets of parts or is the set of 4 "fat" washers the spacers?

Looking at pictures it seems like I don't need the spacers but I want to be sure. Here is how it seems like I should install the TDX:

1) Install screws and lock nut through motherboard and into back plate.
2) Drop waterblock through screws and rest on CPU.
3) Put washers on each screw (eg. on top of waterblock)
4) Put spring on top of washers.
5) Put another washer on top of spring.
6) Put hand-tightening nut on top of washer.
7) Tighten.

Also, how tight should I screw it down? It seems like I can screw it down until the spring is 100% compressed. Is this normal?

Please help! My PC is laying apart on my floor! :)

I don't think TDX ever came with spacers. Check DD website for installation instructions.

Both of my blocks are very close to full compression on the springs, and it works fine for me.

Spacers actually wouldn't do anything, as the springs put the force on the block. As long the springs are compressing, then it's hitting against something (hopefully the CPU).

@Zetto: The installation diagram at Danger Den shows spacers which is what had me concerned. Maybe it's a really old diagram?

@Knacko: Should I be concerned about over-tightening it? With the springs fully compressed it seems really tight but I have no idea how to tell for sure...

I bought my TDX about a year ago and it came with spacers. The spacers are just there to prevent further compression. I run with an IHS-less CPU so I try to limit the max ammount of compression. I personally tighten down the springs until they are about 3cm high. I would worry more about even compression than total compression though.

Hope that helps.

Back