• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is W/C for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrLarkins

My system specs are in my signature.
Presently, my system is air cooled, IDLE @ 39C ; LOAD @ 50C
My CPU is overclocked only 400Mhz, and to keep it stable, I had to bump up the Voltage a bit. On warm days, when the shower has been running, the hot moisture in the room causes the temps to rise drastically. Once while playing JOTR online, my cpu hit 68C.
On average, what kinds of temperature drops would I see with a water cooled setup.

I am looking at the D-TEK Fuzion Universal CPU Block and the Black ICE Micro II (dual 80mm).

My thinking with the dual 80mm radiator is that i can mount it on the back on my Sidewinder case and use the two 80mm's fans that are in place right now.

I am just starting to look at prices and parts, so any suggestions would be gladly accepted.

Lark-ICE- said:
My system specs are in my signature.
Presently, my system is air cooled, IDLE @ 39C ; LOAD @ 50C
My CPU is overclocked only 400Mhz, and to keep it stable, I had to bump up the Voltage a bit. On warm days, when the shower has been running, the hot moisture in the room causes the temps to rise drastically. Once while playing JOTR online, my cpu hit 68C.
On average, what kinds of temperature drops would I see with a water cooled setup.

I am looking at the D-TEK Fuzion Universal CPU Block and the Black ICE Micro II (dual 80mm).

My thinking with the dual 80mm radiator is that i can mount it on the back on my Sidewinder case and use the two 80mm's fans that are in place right now.

I am just starting to look at prices and parts, so any suggestions would be gladly accepted.
Any system can be watercooled...the questions you need to be asking yourself is "Am I ready for watercooling?". Look up the positives and negatives of a watercooling system. Think it through thoroughly.

I would suggest high-end air as an alternative.

I have a high-end air cooler presently. I would love to put in a water-cooled system, and I believe I am compitent enough to install it. I'm looking at the COST to TEMPdrop ratio.

Lark-ICE- said:
I have a high-end air cooler presently. I would love to put in a water-cooled system, and I believe I am compitent enough to install it. I'm looking at the COST to TEMPdrop ratio.
If your overclocking by 400mhz and plan to keep it that way, save your money, not worth it.

If you have high-end air and are reaching those themps, you have a problem, possibly something as easy as reseatting the heatsink. Lets first look at how much we can drop temps with what you have, which acording to your ratio would be 0:infinity :bday:

First, lets start with:

What kind of heatsink do you have?

Water cooling is for Everyone, they just know it yet. ;)

High end air might be nice, but those pesky fans make a lot of noise sometimes. :p

You may or may not want to switch over.
Kits are very expensive, building from parts is cheaper.

You'll want to figure how much you are willing to spend for "a few degrees" in temp drop.

(cost/temp drop)

It is nice to have H20. consistancy in temps.

but that's my .02

:attn:

Just as a means for comparison, my specs are in my sig, in my HTPC with absolutely horrendous airflow I'm getting 32 Idle and 46 Load with a passive radiator and an 80mm active radiator (near-silent fan). However, I'm not overclocked.

Last edited:
I can't remember my HS, I'll have to go home and look tonight. However, another positive that I'm liking is the reduction in noise. I really want to go W/C, the biggest hinderance I am facing is cost. I would offset it a bit by selling my HS/F, but not much. The wife won't be happy if I go on a spending spree.
Me -->:argue: <--Wife

Lark-ICE- said:
I can't remember my HS, I'll have to go home and look tonight. However, another positive that I'm liking is the reduction in noise. I really want to go W/C, the biggest hinderance I am facing is cost. I would offset it a bit by selling my HS/F, but not much. The wife won't be happy if I go on a spending spree.
Me -->:argue: <--Wife

Another thing to consider, ambient temp doesn't affect it as much. I just ran my system last night (in sig) with no fans running on the radiator (software contolled) for 30 mins, under full load. The CPU capped out at 60c at 3.2ghz after running for 30 mins full out. I measured the fluid temp in excess of 120f! And it was still cooling that good!

So lets assume, I decide to buy parts and build a W/C myself.
Is this all I'll need?
Waterblock
pump
radiator
tubing and clamps
fluid

Lark-ICE- said:
So lets assume, I decide to buy parts and build a W/C myself.
Is this all I'll need?
Waterblock
pump
radiator
tubing and clamps
fluid

Yes...

<sarcasm>
Plus the computer
</sarcasm>

Yes, basically. You'll need a T and some sort of cap, fans for the rad, and your fluid needs to have something in it to keep algae, bacteria, and fungi in check.

If you're looking for both quiet and performance, try to find room for a double or triple 120mm rad. 80mm fans would have to be much louder to cool the same load.

Swiftech's MCR series performs well and is not too expensive. If cash is really tight, the venerable BIP (Black Ice Pro) is very cheap these days. It is a bit more restrictive than current radiators, but it was designed with quiet fans in mind.

ok, how about these...
D-TEK Fuzion Universal Waterblock and a Black ICE Pro II RAD...I prefer putting the radiator on the back on my case, and I might get a dremal cutter and cut my case a bit b/c the Sidewinder case has 80mm spots on the rear panel area, and the Black ICE Pro II is 120mm. Hmmm, the rad says "Compatible with G 1/4 BSPP thread O-ring fittings" and the Fuzion says...well it says something.

I need to make sure all my 'things' fit together. I've been reading in the forums about G1/4 and 1/2" and 3/8" and I'm startin to get confused.. AND I haven't even chosen a pump yet!

Lark-ICE- said:
ok, how about these...
D-TEK Fuzion Universal Waterblock and a Black ICE Pro II RAD...I prefer putting the radiator on the back on my case, and I might get a dremal cutter and cut my case a bit b/c the Sidewinder case has 80mm spots on the rear panel area, and the Black ICE Pro II is 120mm. Hmmm, the rad says "Compatible with G 1/4 BSPP thread O-ring fittings" and the Fuzion says...well it says something.

I need to make sure all my 'things' fit together. I've been reading in the forums about G1/4 and 1/2" and 3/8" and I'm startin to get confused.. AND I haven't even chosen a pump yet!

If you get the Swiftech RadBox, you can bolt it onto an existing 120mm, 92mm or 80mm slot without any modification.

here's my case

and my HS for my 4400+ is the stock HS from a 4800+...it's all copper w/ 4 heatpipes and a 80mm fan

Attachments

• xgbox-mge-sidewinder-s-6.jpg
    xgbox-mge-sidewinder-s-6.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 66
  • xgbox-mge-sidewinder-s-4.jpg
    xgbox-mge-sidewinder-s-4.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 57
  • xoxide_1941_160918109.gif
    xoxide_1941_160918109.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 61
can someone suggest a pump that would compliment my choice in rad and block, or at least give me some tips for choosing. some pumps have a higher GPH...is higher necessarily better? would a pump rated 265GPH work well with just a CPU water cooled?

and do I need a Reservoir? whats the point of it if the system is closed and there is no water loss...

Last edited:
A Laing DDC or Swiftech 350 (same pump, different name) should be plenty, based on my experience. Its very quiet, though it forces you into 3/8" tubing for your loop. Unless, of course, you go with a modded top.

resevoir? neither of you answered my Q's about that

Last edited:
Back