• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shuttle AV18E OC Help Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GaryPR

My ABIT BE6-II died last month and I needed to quickly replace it. The best I could do locally was a Shuttle AV18E. I've successfully dealt with the chipset switch on my dual boot Win95/2K system but I'm back to running my Celeron 566/66 at native speed. I haven't been able to figure out the right combo of settings in the AV18E's bios to oc. With the ABIT board, I ran the celery at 850/100 for over a year. I'm using a Matrox G200 AGP video card. The system is mostly used as a DAW. Can anyone tell me how to oc the Celeron on this board?

BTW, the BE6-II v1.1 developed CMOS "amnesia". If I left the cmos clear jumper on overnight, I could boot up the next day with safe bios defaults. As soon as I powered off, it was non-functional - no signal to video, no post, nada. I've read about others having problems with bad capacitors on the BE6-II and there a a few on my board that are visably swollen. Anyone have a similar problem with this board? Is the problem I described related to the capacitor issue? Will changing the caps restore the board to life?

did you try putting a new battery in the system?
You may just have a dead battery that is causing your CMOS to lose its settings

You name it, I swapped it out. CPU, video, ram, ps, battery, keyboard. There's no doubt in my mind there's a problem with the board.

Now another problem with this board: the mouse keeps disappearing. It works fine, then if I power off and back on, Windows (both 95 and 2K) is mouseless. Win95 device namager reports an IRQ problem with USB but it didn't get any better when I disable the USB chip in BIOS. Any hints?

So you tried a new battry..... no go...

Abit board or Shuttle has problems with the mouse?
I am sure you have tried another mouse right?
And have you tried a BUS mouse? same problem with that kind of mouse?

I've learned that the ABIT board problem is due to a well-documented failing capacitor problem. Many people with BE6, BE6-II, BF6, and KA7 (and others?) have reported the problem on the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit newsgroup. The good news is that once the caps are replaced, the board is functional again.

As for the Shuttle board, the bus-ps/2 mouse problem seems to have disappeared after disabling USB in bios. Luckily, I don't really need the USB right now and can use my laptop if I do. If I get some time, I'll try to get the USE ports coexisting with the mouse. I'm hoping to fix the ABIT board and return the Shuttle board for a refund though. So far, no one has replied to my query on how to oc the celeron 566/66 to 850/100 on the shuttle board like I was doing on the ABIT.

I had to replace 3 caps (i blew them when i overvolted my coppermine-128, 2.3V) on my ABIT BF6, runs like a carm now :)

I have never used that shuttle board... but if you still plan on overclocking it, i can download the manual, then help....

But if you are just returning it... ????

your call

I'll be running the Shuttle board for at least a while longer before I can get to the ABIT repair. If the repair is not sucessful, I'll have to leave the board in. So, if you could look at the manual and provide any suggestions to get the Celeron to oc in the AV18E, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

BTW, any tips from your experience replacing caps? What wattage iron did you use? How hard was it getting the old caps out?

its a wimpy (safer) 25 watt radio shack iron.
got a bigger one, but heat can kill IC's so.. went with the smaller and safer one.

Also if you can. use a pen, not a gun as you have more control with a pen.

Getting the Caps out is easy.
Let the iron heat up....
And on the back side of the board, touch the pin/solder and pull the cap(front side)...
If you are still having problems getting the cap out, heat a little bit of solder up, and touch that against the old/dry/hard solder...
And that should help you

Back