• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCR320 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

I just got a few new watercooling things in the mail and of course, there are problems. I put the 1/2 barbs on my MCR320 and installed it into the loop. After some leak testing I found that water was slowing dripping out of one of the barbs. So I thought, hey, easy fix, I'll just pull the barb off and put it back on or something. Now here is the problem, the barb is STUCK ON THE RAD. I've spent I don't know how long with I don't know how many wrenches trying to untighten it but no luck. I didn't use any sort of permanent goop or anything so I have NO idea why it wont come off. Am I going to have to completely destroy this barb to get it off the stupid rad?

inkfx said:
I just got a few new watercooling things in the mail and of course, there are problems. I put the 1/2 barbs on my MCR320 and installed it into the loop. After some leak testing I found that water was slowing dripping out of one of the barbs. So I thought, hey, easy fix, I'll just pull the barb off and put it back on or something. Now here is the problem, the barb is STUCK ON THE RAD. I've spent I don't know how long with I don't know how many wrenches trying to untighten it but no luck. I didn't use any sort of permanent goop or anything so I have NO idea why it wont come off. Am I going to have to completely destroy this barb to get it off the stupid rad?

Sounds like it's cross-threaded. Options for getting that out are few. Try spraying WD40 or similar on the bard area in hopes of getting it into the threads. That's my best guess, anyway. Good luck getting it out.
Dan

I talked to Swiftech about my MCW60 already (it didnt come with moutning for my x1900) Thanks to Michelle new barbs for my MCR will also be included in the shipment. I suppose I will try WD40 to get it out of there. I hope that works.

Unfortunately the WD40 did not work either. The barb didn't even budge. I just want to get this thing out of there. How would I do this? I can get a new barb no big deal I guess.

inkfx said:
Unfortunately the WD40 did not work either. The barb didn't even budge. I just want to get this thing out of there. How would I do this? I can get a new barb no big deal I guess.

Vice and a breaker bar?
Dan

Before I gave up I sprayed some WD40 one more time but let it sit for about 40 minutes. With a little work the barb finally came loose. The barb was a little damaged at the threads so I just threw it away. Good thing Swiftech is sending me some new barbs along with the GPU block RMA. Thanks for the help Dan.

inkfx said:
Before I gave up I sprayed some WD40 one more time but let it sit for about 40 minutes. With a little work the barb finally came loose. The barb was a little damaged at the threads so I just threw it away. Good thing Swiftech is sending me some new barbs along with the GPU block RMA. Thanks for the help Dan.

Nah, any monkey can recommend WD40... Glad to hear you got it out though, :beer: cheers!
Dan

inkfx said:

Your threads might be toasted too, make sure to use some teflon tape on your next one or you might have leaks.

thideras said:
Your threads might be toasted too, make sure to use some teflon tape on your next one or you might have leaks.
Already ahead of ya. ;) I tossed out the old barb, the threads were all screwed up, ha. The other barb went on just fine along with some teflon tape. I hope my stuff gets here soon!

was gonna mention, you can always get a tap and run it through to clean the threads up (upside down so the filings don't drop in the tank)

Back