• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Sticks of Wintec DDR2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Fri

I built a new system with a Biostar TForce 550 (AMD x2) using Wintec memory (see sig). I bought 2 sticks of 1 GB DDR2 but only put one stick in this system. It boots up and works fine but when I did something memory intensive (installing a game), I got a corrupt file error. I went back to the BIOS and turned on the memory test at boot. After clicking through the memory and detecting the drives, it says memory failure and stops booting. I re-seated the stick and tried it in different slots (shouldn't make a difference but what the heck…) and still got a memory failure. I used the other stick to see if it was OK and it didn't even post. (The Biostar led code showed there was a memory problem.) The first stick went back in and worked like before. I'm very careful to touch the grounded metal case before I touch the memory sticks. (I've worked in semiconductor fabs and know about static damage.) I tried underclocking it (FSB from 200 to 140 using clockgen) and still get a corrupt file error when loading the game.

Does this mean I have 2 sticks of bad memory or could this mobo not work well with this brand of memory? It seems unlikely that both sticks are bad. Perhaps I have something wrong in the BIOS.

According to CPU-Z, the standard settings it's running at is:

Core Speed: 1910 MHz
Multiplier: 9.5
Bus Speed: 201 MHz
HT Link: 1005 MHz.

The memory page reads:

Freq: 318.3 MHz
FSB/DRAM: CPU/6
CAS# Latency: 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# delay: 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge:5 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 15 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (Trc): 21 clocks
Command Rate: 1T

The memory I'm using is:
WINTEC AMPO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820161677

Last edited:
A couple things you might want to try:
A) Use 400 divider
B) Use 2T Command Rate
C) Try loosening secondary timings on the Memory Timings page (a long shot probably)

Otherwise you really need to test this ram in another machine, or just go ahead and RMA memory to newegg while there is still time. It seems odd that there would be two bad sticks of memory, but you never know.

Yes force command rate to 2. It will only run 1T under 275. Also set your VDimm voltage to 1.8. Once you pass 333 (DDR667) then you will want raise it at 1.85 - 1.9. It's good ram that will do DDR2-800 on 1.9V. You may have to losten timings about 700 to 5-6-6-16-24. Speed trumps low lats as long as you can keep the first number at 5.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I really, really appreciate your help.

I hate to be such a newbe but I'm going to need a some hand holding. I've only OCded my Athlons before so this is the first time to do memory. I know it's not hard, I just need some direction. (Usually I'd just read up on everything in different posts and eventually a few weeks later I figure it out. However, this time I'm very frustrated because I can't get the system to work and it's already consumed a lot of my time.)

I still have the BIOS from the TForce 550 (ver 1.3). I plan to upgrade to the hacked one once I get a basic OC going. (Again, another thing to read up on and learn. It's not hard, it just takes some time to understand and make sure I flash it correctly.)

Below are the parameters I see when I go into the Overclock Navigator in the BOIS. I don't see where to put in the 2T command rate or 400 divider so I need some more help here. I'm sure I can keep some set to auto but some I want to force.

CPU Vid control (Auto)
Memory Voltage (1.950v)
Chipset Voltage (1.550v)
HyperTransport Voltage (1.250v)
CPU Freq (200)
NPT Fid Control (Auto)
K8NB HT Speed (Auto)
Timing Mode (Auto)
DRAM Config
Mem Timings
tCL - CAS Latency (Auto - 5 clock)
tRCD (Auto - 5 clock)
tRP (Auto - 5 clock)
tRAS (Auto - 15 clock)
Command per Clock (Auto - 1 clock)
tRRD (Auto - 3 clock)
AsyncLat (Auto - 6 nS)
tRC (Auto - 21 clock)
tWR (Auto - 5 clock)
tRWT (Auto - 4 clock)
tWTR (Auto - 3 clock)
tREF (Auto - 3.9 uS)
Read DQS Skew (Auto)
Read Delay from Rx FIFO (Auto - 2.5 clock)
Drive Strength Settings
Dram driver weak mode (Auto - normal)
CKE drive strength (Auto - 1.50x)
CS drive strength (Auto - 1.50x)
MA drive strength (Auto - 1.50x)
MCLK drive strength (Auto - 1.0x)
MD drive strength (Auto - 1.0x)
DQS drive strength (Auto - 1.0x)
Dram on-die Term (Auto - 75 Ohm)
Read/Write Queue bypass (Auto - 8 time)
Bypass Max (Auto - 4 time)
32 Byte Granularity (Auto - 64 byte)
DQS training control (skip DQS)
CKE base power down mode (disabled)
CKE based powerdown (per channel)
Memclock tri-stating (disabled)
Mem Hole remapping (enabled)
Auto Optimize Bottom IO (enabled)
DDRII Timing Items (disabled)

Mr. Fri said:
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I really, really appreciate your help.
~
DRAM Config
DDRII Timing Items (disabled)

I think the rest or OK but that one need to be 2 until you have more time and experiance with your ram.

I changed Command per Clock from 1 to 2 clock and I stil have a memory failure when I boot the extended mem test. I tried setting CPU Vin from auto 1.80v but the system shuts off before it posts. Looks like I need to jump the CMOS again and start from the defalt values. What next?

To change the memory divider, set Timing Mode to MaxMemClk and then the "Memory Clock value or limit" will open up right underneath it. From what you have said it seems like you are currently running the 667 divider right?

Also try setting the Max Async Latency to 8-10.

I would get an RMA with newegg. You can even buy a new set of ram, and send the old stuff back for a refund.

If the new ram you get in doesn't fix your problem, then I would look into rmaing the mobo.

The new memory arrived today and... WooHoo it works fine!!!

I can't believe I've been chasing my tail for weeks with memory that was DOA. I put in both sticks of the new DDR2 and they passed both the boot-up memory test and the integrated mem test. It took about an hour to do the MemTest86 (v1.65) but there were no errors. The bad memory would failed within 10 seconds and then start increasing the number of failures like a speedometer counting up miles. We loaded LOTRO on the first try and... no errors!!!

We are so happy. Thanks for helping us through this mess!

Back