• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF??!! PC Club had Corsair DDR3 ram....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AC3421

Disabled
I was at my local PC Club store and one of the workers was working on a computer.(Turned out to be his) And I noticed this Ram laying down on the table, and a package next to it, the package was a Corsair package and it said DDR3 High performance Ram. Same design as the current packaging and then I looked at the sticks, which had black heat spreaders on them and surely enough it had DDR3 in the slanted kind of writing on both its sides. And the sticker on it said DDR3 3200Mhz I asked him and he said he got them from some "Special people" in a joking kind of way. I said seriously and he said he shouldn't even have them out on the table and laughed and said his dad knows some people, and that was it. lol. I wish I had a camera on me. I know most are gonna say this is worthless without pics, to those, screw off, I have no reason to make this up.

Frank

Good Question. I have no idea, it was inside the computer and he was behind it with the opening facing him. He may not of even been using it in the computer, might of just had it out looking at them. I just continued on my way in the store after he made the comment about having them out. I'm super curious as to how he got them. And if Corsair isn't planning on releasing them anytime soon, why was the packaging already done up?? looked identical to current Corsair Ram packaging except it said High Performance DDR3.

Bahh, who cares about the DDR3 sticks, I could get the chips and put together my own sticks for a few $k...

The real question is: What about the mainboard!?!?

I wonder how long it'll be until DDR3 can really compete with DDR2, right now DDR2's timings are a hell of a lot better then DDR3's and as you know, a CPU's cycles are worthless if it's spending soo much time simply waiting for data to arrive...

Rival904 said:

ummm, the DDR3 i saw, the sticker that comes on the Sticks that says the Mhz and timings said 3200Mhz, 3200Mhz!!!! Those ones in the Inquirer are all DDR2 speeds. One of there Dominator DDR2 kits runs at 1333 stock. Dont know why there "Showing" those DDR3 with DDR2 speed ones off.

What im saying is I think corsair is holding back on what they have at the shows. Somehow this guy (or it was probably the store itself) got a hold of this DDR3 Ram at that insane Speed.

Last edited:
AC3421 said:
ummm, the DDR3 i saw, the sticker that comes on the Sticks that says the Mhz and timings said 3200Mhz, 3200Mhz!!!! Those ones in the Inquirer are all DDR2 speeds. One of there Dominator DDR2 kits runs at 1333 stock. Dont know why there "Showing" those DDR3 with DDR2 speed ones off.

What im saying is I think corsair is holding back on what they have at the shows. Somehow this guy (or it was probably the store itself) got a hold of this DDR3 Ram at that insane Speed.

No such thing as DDR3-3200. Linked is Samsung's DDR3 SDRAM modules list. The fastest specified is DDR3-1600 (running at 800Mhz, 1600 effective). I highly doubt there's already something double that speed.

The 3200 on the sticks you saw is pure marketing. Think about it, DDR3 running at 1600Mhz could be marketed as "3200" memory. Just like DDR400 is really only 200Mhz memory.

bob548 said:
No such thing as DDR3-3200. Linked is Samsung's DDR3 SDRAM modules list. The fastest specified is DDR3-1600 (running at 800Mhz, 1600 effective). I highly doubt there's already something double that speed.

And the fastest ddr2 specified is ddr2 800. The point of that list isn't to list every single module they have or know of. It's just a comparison with an average range of speeds. Samsung already had and displayed ddr3 1600 last september.

Last edited:
Travis Dawes said:
The 3200 on the sticks you saw is pure marketing. Think about it, DDR3 running at 1600Mhz could be marketed as "3200" memory. Just like DDR400 is really only 200Mhz memory.

This is probably true of what I saw. But I still dont think 1600 is anything to get excited about for DDR3.

Sorry for double post.

Go back to the store and ask more questions . (and make sure you have a cell phone with a cam on it with you )

||Console|| said:
Go back to the store and ask more questions . (and make sure you have a cell phone with a cam on it with you )

or at least have a small digi cam because i would like to see this...

Shell said:
I wonder how long it'll be until DDR3 can really compete with DDR2, right now DDR2's timings are a hell of a lot better then DDR3's and as you know, a CPU's cycles are worthless if it's spending soo much time simply waiting for data to arrive...

Just curious, how come this doesn't apply to GPUs?

Well then my question still applies as the x1900 with DDR4 Ram has better performance but the Ram has looser timings, so why can't it work well with a cpu?

Neural Net said:
Just curious, how come this doesn't apply to GPUs?
It definately does, reduce the timings by just a tiny bit and you'll get a nice boost in performance... but you can rarely get tighter timings, and bandwidth is essential when you have to move around such a massive amount of data between the GPU and the X1900 is the most memory demanding GPU there is.
One Bull said:
I think Shell confused ddr3 with ddr4, DDR4 has really bad timings. DDR3 not soo bad..
DDR2, DDR3, DDR4;

They all make up for the poorer timings with more Hz, DDR4 should make up for the looser timgs... but current DDR4 chips are going much slower then what they can run at.

1.5GHz(3 DDR) anyone? :beer:

Back