• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reseating and cleaning.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SirPokemasterMD said:
I was reading the beeps thread in general hardware section and everytime I restart my pc I get a beep. It tells me to reseat and clean the RAM. How does one do this?
Remove the RAM, if you have:

Isopropyl alcohol:
1) Remove RAM
2) Clean RAM with Q-Tip dipped in the Isopropyl
3) Wait for it to dry
4) Insert RAM

No Isopropyl alcohol:
1) Get some (no other way to really do this, don't use a cloth as that makes a static charge).

But I really doubt it is because you touched the contacts, oil doesnt transfer electricity that good. Now if you had something on your hands, that is possible. Just try reseating first. Make sure to firmly press down until the latches click.

EDIT: Also make sure all your connections are secure and everything is seated properly.

Nope no screws what so ever. Unless of course they changed it but Iam very certain there aren't any screws. There's 2 latches. One at one end of the RAM and another at the other end. Just push down the latch and the RAM will pop out.

Rickster said:
Nope no screws what so ever. Unless of course they changed it but Iam very certain there aren't any screws. There's 2 latches. One at one end of the RAM and another at the other end. Just push down the latch and the RAM will pop out.

Nice and simple.

the only way you would need as is if you would use ram sinks (heat sinks for the ram)

and you would use thermal adhesive and not thermal compound

but for your application you probably dont have ramsinks and if you did they came with thermal adhesive on them so no just remove, clean the contacts with isopropyl and a q-tip, wait for it to dry, and reseat in the same position you found them in

Back