• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No ramsinks on 8800gtx with mcw60?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lorax26

I just bought an 8800GTX and as I was taking the stock fan and sinks off I realized that I didn't have any ramsinks to cover anything other than the gpu.

Is anyone cooling an 8800GTX with an mcw60 and no ramsinks? I'm wondering if I'd be safe to run it without the ramsinks and maybe purchase them later.

Opinions?

If the stock hsf covers the RAM and has contacts for the ram then you should get some sinks for them. If there arent any contacts then you dont need to have sinks - assuming your NOT overclocking. If you plan on overclocking ram sinks IMO are a must, as you may not get as much out of them.

I'd get some sinks on the RAM whether youre OC the card or not. If only for piece of mind

lorax26 said:
I just bought an 8800GTX and as I was taking the stock fan and sinks off I realized that I didn't have any ramsinks to cover anything other than the gpu.

Is anyone cooling an 8800GTX with an mcw60 and no ramsinks? I'm wondering if I'd be safe to run it without the ramsinks and maybe purchase them later.

Opinions?

Don't forget the other parts of the board, on the 8800's you need to cool more than the core and the mem!!

I ordered the mc8800 ramsinks set but I can't get the ramsinks to stay on the freakin' chips!!!! I tried adding a little thermal paste but it still won't stick enough to keep it attached to each chip.

any ideas?

bump

lorax26 said:
I ordered the mc8800 ramsinks set but I can't get the ramsinks to stay on the freakin' chips!!!! I tried adding a little thermal paste but it still won't stick enough to keep it attached to each chip.

any ideas?

bump
Ceramique.
You could also use their adhesive, but that is permanent.

The reason they wont stay on is that the surface of those sinks are concave. Lap them and then use the glue at four corners method in combination with as5.

Back