• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just finished H2O-220 APEX Ultra Kit, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treatmentx

I just finished putting in this kit
http://www.crazypc.com/products/9370.html
as recommended by members of this forum

I love it so far, my fish tank is louder than my PC.

I just wanna make sure some stuff

1) E6700 @ 3.4GHZ temps of Core0-39C, Core1-40C on load, Speedfan 4.32 (i figure Core is better measure than Temp1, which reads 35C). I think these are good numbers right? On a Zalman 9700 Air, I was getting 58ish on load.
2) Do I need to bleed the reservoir to the rim even though everything's working fine?
3) I read that I can control the fan speed, which software do I use for that?
4) UV dye , bad for motor? I added a touch of alcohol, as recommended for extra coolant/viscosity control, bad for motor?
5) I used the shortest route possible, as recommended. However, some of the tubes have very high torque pressure, but just screwed into place. It's not kinking as of now, would it kink sometime down the road? Is there anything I should worry about like cracking or anything?

Thanks in advance, I have enjoyed all the nice things and helpful comments that have made me dive right into water cooling and now that I'm in, I don't wanna go back to air!

Congrats on the build. :beer:

treatmentx said:
1) E6700 @ 3.4GHZ temps of Core0-39C, Core1-40C on load, Speedfan 4.32 (i figure Core is better measure than Temp1, which reads 35C). I think these are good numbers right? On a Zalman 9700 Air, I was getting 58ish on load.
Sounds reasonable to me, but the last Intel CPU I had ran at 50MHz.

2) Do I need to bleed the reservoir to the rim even though everything's working fine?
No. The res that ships with that kit is designed to work with relatively low coolant levels.

3) I read that I can control the fan speed, which software do I use for that?
Speedfan or whatever came with your motherboard.

4) UV dye , bad for motor? I added a touch of alcohol, as recommended for extra coolant/viscosity control, bad for motor?
Non-particulate dyes are okay. Low concentrations of alcohol probably won't hurt your rings and gaskets, but water has superior thermal properties to alcohol. You might get better flow rates by adding alcohol, but I doubt that will outweigh the reduction in volumetric heat capacity.

5) I used the shortest route possible, as recommended. However, some of the tubes have very high torque pressure, but just screwed into place. It's not kinking as of now, would it kink sometime down the road? Is there anything I should worry about like cracking or anything?
Your tubes won't crack. Over time, they might develop an oval cross section at the bends. If this happens, try using a hose clamp to bring the tubing back to round.

What do you mean by "high torque pressure" and "just screwed into place"?

Thanks for the advice. =)

Today, I overclocked all the way to 3.9GHZ was doing ok on SuperPI 1M, failed Orthos. After that I couldn't get anywhere 3.7-3.9 just would not go.

I bumped the NB, from 1.3v to 1.35v, and I was able to get 3.6GHZ stable, and haven't tried anything over 3.6GHZ. Temps are 42/43 Core temps via Speedfan.

Sorry about the "high torque" and "screwed into place", it is obscure now that I re-read it.

I have the bump and reservoir screwed into place outside of the case. the tubing, I suppose due to how short it is, routes back into the case, but because of the positioning, there's a tendency of the tube to "push" the bump away from the position it's currently screwed in.

BTW, what did you mean by Last CPU ran at 50MHZ?

and any advice on volt settings, i think that's what's holding me back. I'm on a P5N32-E 680i, with a E6700. =| it's been a toughie

treatmentx said:
I have the bump and reservoir screwed into place outside of the case. the tubing, I suppose due to how short it is, routes back into the case, but because of the positioning, there's a tendency of the tube to "push" the bump away from the position it's currently screwed in.

That's normal. The tubes will naturally straighten out if nothing holds them in place.

BTW, what did you mean by Last CPU ran at 50MHZ?
I meant I have no experience with Intel's current CPU's. My last Intel was a 486 DX2/50.

and any advice on volt settings, i think that's what's holding me back. I'm on a P5N32-E 680i, with a E6700. =| it's been a toughie
Yes. Read this excellent sticky from the somewhat obscure "general hardware" section:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=384756

Back