• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

going through the motions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, ive never seen Ed so down on AMD, but he makes a good case for things looking really bad.

its kinda scary to see things that way.

amd going under would be bad for everybody.

i'm pretty sure they wouldn't "go under". they would just sell out, and get swallowed up by someone who has proper resources, ie IBM.

still doesn't look good.

Yeah, not too good.. Does anyone remember how Cyrix went out of business?.. anything like what AMDs going through now?

Cyrix didn't go ot of business either, they were bought by VIA. This has made me think twice about upgradeing to another AMD processor. though the current gen of AMD should be enough to keep me untill we know their fate and im ready to upgrade my MB and maybe go Intel.(though as an avid AMDroid it would be hard)

Cyrix isn't really gone, even in the x86 space. They still make low power chips (C3, C7) and try to find a niche there with stuff like low cost servers, car computers, etc. They aren't a player in the standard desktop market though. The same could happen to AMD. And that would be bad for all of us. We may be swimming in cheap dual cores right now, but it could get ugly.

Well. I have been doing my part… Every processor I have bought in the last 8 years has been AMD… Probably bought 6 total for just myself and a few more for building friends computer…But then again I know lots of people who just go to Dell and negate my contribution…

People also seem to be forgetting ATI. I know of a lot of people that like ATI over Nvidia (I am not one of them). The R600 might not be out yet but the mid range and intergrated area is where the most money is made. Also lets not forget the Xbox 360 and Wii use ATI GPU's.

And one more thing over looked...

"Even if they felt sorry for AMD, the reality is a new socket is just around the corner - anything bought now is going to be legacy and not supported in terms of CPUs in just a couple of months. "

AM2 motherboards will run AM2+ processors, just the bus speed will be slower but I fail to see how this will effect CPU speed since current Athlon64's don't even come close to maxing out the bus @ 2GHz.

It gets better, or worse, depending on how you look at it.

http://www.247wallst.com/2007/04/amds_18_billion.html

April 23, 2007

AMD's $1.8 Billion Voodoo Financing Announcement

When you read things like this, it is hard to wonder just how the investment bankers that came up with the deal were able to keep a straight face while trying to get the company to do it. :bang head

Back