• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dust in Radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winston856

Alright so I've been wondering this for a while and thought I'd share.

I have an Apex kit that I bought over a year ago mounted on my P180 case, the rad is outside on the back as it was designed to be.

Now, the first time I tore down my kit when I was changing over to this P180 case, I was experiencing some higher idle temps and some really high load temps when I was overclocking my Opteron.

Anyhow, I took off both of the 120mm fans to find my Swiftech MCR-220 radiator CAKED with dust from the fans. This was pretty unnoticeable at first because the fans were blocking the dust from being seen.

So I got that all cleaned up and my temps came back to where they were the first time I built the rig.

So now I'm thinking that's going to happen again, so I want to know if there's any way I can prevent this from happening? I was thinking some sort of dust filter but I'm not sure what to do or where to get it.

The fans are currently blowing air through the radiator so the dust accumulates underneath them, instead of on the other side if they were sucking through the radiator. However this is the way the fans were set up when I got the rad so I didn't want to mess with them.

What do you all recommend ? What should I do so I don't have to completely take apart my loop just to clean the dust off my rad. Is there an easy way to mount filters or whatnot ? What do you advise?

winston856 said:
Alright so I've been wondering this for a while and thought I'd share.

I have an Apex kit that I bought over a year ago mounted on my P180 case, the rad is outside on the back as it was designed to be.

Now, the first time I tore down my kit when I was changing over to this P180 case, I was experiencing some higher idle temps and some really high load temps when I was overclocking my Opteron.

Anyhow, I took off both of the 120mm fans to find my Swiftech MCR-220 radiator CAKED with dust from the fans. This was pretty unnoticeable at first because the fans were blocking the dust from being seen.

So I got that all cleaned up and my temps came back to where they were the first time I built the rig.

So now I'm thinking that's going to happen again, so I want to know if there's any way I can prevent this from happening? I was thinking some sort of dust filter but I'm not sure what to do or where to get it.

The fans are currently blowing air through the radiator so the dust accumulates underneath them, instead of on the other side if they were sucking through the radiator. However this is the way the fans were set up when I got the rad so I didn't want to mess with them.

What do you all recommend ? What should I do so I don't have to completely take apart my loop just to clean the dust off my rad. Is there an easy way to mount filters or whatnot ? What do you advise?
Quick answer:

Flip the fans around and clean it out more often = a happy computer.

I use a fan filter, dust still gets through though.. just not as much. It's easier to clean too.

Dust filters slow down the process but of course you have to have a way to clean out the dust filters. I agree that it might be easier to just remount the fans so that they are facing in a direction that is easier to clean. But frankly I'm having difficulty picturing why a rear mounted fan on a rad box is hard to blow out.

I suppose I could just take a can of compressed air and shoot it at both sides of the rad. That would probably get the job done pretty well.

Back