• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Isaac MM

Registered
Is a Laing D5 good enough for this?

Termochill PA 120.3
Cpu Block: D-Tek Fuzion
GPU Blocks: EK 8800

Im going to cool a Qx6700 and a 8800GTX

I plan to overclock both of them

A D5 is a good pump and will work well. I personally prefer the DDC-2 since it is smaller and quieter than the D5, or in my case where I am a noise freak, a DDC with top fits the bill as it provides almost the same flow as the DDC-2 with stock top but is very, very quiet. Given that you are using the Fuzion and a PA120.3, both of which are very non-restrictive, a DDC with top would work just fine. That is what I am using.

voigts said:
A D5 is a good pump and will work well. I personally prefer the DDC-2 since it is smaller and quieter than the D5, or in my case where I am a noise freak, a DDC with top fits the bill as it provides almost the same flow as the DDC-2 with stock top but is very, very quiet. Given that you are using the Fuzion and a PA120.3, both of which are very non-restrictive, a DDC with top would work just fine. That is what I am using.

I thought DDC with tops out performed D5 in every way?

--pak

In a low restriction loop, a D5 can put out more flow than a DDC-2 with top. The DDC-2 however has a much higher head pressure rating, and hence in a more restrictive loop will outperform the D5. However, both pumps are likely to net you quite a bit more than 1gpm per minute in most setups, so even if you use a D5 in a low restriction loop, you would see no temp benefit over a DDC-2 or a DDC with a top. Since the DDC is so quiet, I chose it for my loop as I am running the same parts as he is, and I have seen no difference between it and the DDC-2 that I was running in this same loop, both using a top.

voigts said:
In a low restriction loop, a D5 can put out more flow than a DDC-2 with top. The DDC-2 however has a much higher head pressure rating, and hence in a more restrictive loop will outperform the D5. However, both pumps are likely to net you quite a bit more than 1gpm per minute in most setups, so even if you use a D5 in a low restriction loop, you would see no temp benefit over a DDC-2 or a DDC with a top. Since the DDC is so quiet, I chose it for my loop as I am running the same parts as he is, and I have seen no difference between it and the DDC-2 that I was running in this same loop, both using a top.

Thanks for clearing that up.

--pak

Back