• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minimum PSU requirements for WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smudged

Hi All,

I am considering retiring my Socket A barton (finally) and have turned my thoughts to a new build! However, this time around, as I have been promising myself for 4 years, I hope to install a WC setup with it.

The set up will be along the lines of:-

Core 2 Duo 6600
2 Gig of RAM (Prolly corsair 4,4,4,12 6400)
Nvidia 8800 GTS (320MB)
A single SATA 2 HDD (probably a samsung 500Gb) which will be paired up with another at a later date.
ASUS i965 based MB maybe the Delux with WIFI or cheaper one without.
All nicely packaged in an Antec P180.
On board sound will do.

I am hoping to hit the 360 FSB area, but I would like to keep it as quiet as I can hence the water. I think I will ease myself in with a Swiftech kit for CPU, NB and VGA and a Dual 120mm Rad.

anyway the question is.... Please can you offer me advice on the minimum output I should consider for a PSU. (I have my eye on a 620 watt from corsair or an Antec trupower TP3-650).

Cheers.

I'd say with water you could fairly easily shoot for 3.6Ghz on that E6600. (which would be 400FSB)

I think either one of those PSU's would be fine for that setup. The only power your WC loop will need is for the pump. A Swiftech MCP655 will only consume maybe 30W at the most.

So either one of those PSU's will do fine. I'm pretty sure that they are both OEMed by Seasonic. The corsair is modular, which is nice. And it's also what many people have been going with around here.

So I'd say, between the two, go with the Corsair.

If you would like another silent PSU that will have a tiny bit more upgrade ability, you could check into the Silverstone OP650. I love mine. It's quite powerful, quiet, and has the new 8pin PCIe connectors that you will probably need if you ever upgrade from that 8800GTS

If your goal is to make the cooling as quiet as possible, then instead of just a Swiftech kit, it would be good to go with a Swiftech MCR320 rad, yate loon d12sl-12 fans undervolted, for the cpu block, the Dtek Fuzion, the Dtek Fuzion GPU block or Swiftech MCW60, and a DDC/MCP350 pump with Petratechshop top. On most MBs you can skip the NB on water as it usually is not needed. The DDC is one of the quietest pumps available, and with low restriction blocks like the Fuzion and an aftermarket top like Petra's, it will maintain good flow but be almost silent.

As far as the PSU is concerned, the DDC/MCP350 is only takes 10w, so it really isn't a factor. These power hungry GPUs are the issue these days.

Another vote for the Corsair HX series. Quiet stable and effective single 12V rail amps out the nose.

(and that 8pin is an adapter from the 6pin on dedeyedata trky)

With a 9 multi you shouldn't need more then stock cooling for the north bridge (you wont be pushing much FSB) maybe a fan.

Thanks for the advice!

I made a slight error in my original post (which no doubt you all spotted). I would be shooting for 400Mhz FSB to allow my RAM to run 1:1. So, I guess that would drive the CPU to around 3.6 Ghz at default multi.

Would I really not need a NB block for this sort of OC? I have been researching and it seems that generally to reach that FSB you need to up the voltage of the NB. I would be happy to install a spot cooler fan to cool the NB and the voltage modules on the MB.

The Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP iP965 has a heat pipe type system to cool these components aleady, but I have also read it sometimes needs a bit of help, hence my thoughts on the swiftech kit for an all in one solution.

I am not against building a custom WC loop, just figured that the kit will give me an easy way to ensure barbs and tubing etc will be 100% compatible.

I will have a look at the components you mentioned. Will propably install with air to test the system and plan in the WC for a month or so after.

I have my eye on a second hand ABit Nforce 2 MB for my barton too, to have a play with. Maybe I will play with a cheap WC on this in the meantime.

It's been a while...... so much to catch up on!

Thanks Again!!!

Who said overkill is a bad thing? If you've got the cash go for the Corsair HX620W, if you want to save a few quid, go with the HX520W.

No N/B block is needed. You might ensure you have good case ventilation (quiet 120mm fans) because the mobo mosfets get a little warm. That will also help cool the N/B and RAM. Some of the popular Conroe motherboards (like Asus and Abit) have fanless heatpipe heatsinks on the N/B, so your goal of quiet will not be compromised.

Nothing wrong with the Swiftech Apex kits. Although, you can probably pick up the individual parts cheaper if you shop around. Make sure the GPU block will fit the vid card you plan to buy.

Post #3 recommended some high dollar Silverstone PSUs, dang. The 610w 49a PC Power & Cooling PSU (see link) is cheaper. Probably the best PSU for the price.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S61EPS

smudged said:
Thanks for the advice!

I made a slight error in my original post (which no doubt you all spotted). I would be shooting for 400Mhz FSB to allow my RAM to run 1:1. So, I guess that would drive the CPU to around 3.6 Ghz at default multi.

Would I really not need a NB block for this sort of OC? I have been researching and it seems that generally to reach that FSB you need to up the voltage of the NB. I would be happy to install a spot cooler fan to cool the NB and the voltage modules on the MB.

The Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP iP965 has a heat pipe type system to cool these components aleady, but I have also read it sometimes needs a bit of help, hence my thoughts on the swiftech kit for an all in one solution.

I am not against building a custom WC loop, just figured that the kit will give me an easy way to ensure barbs and tubing etc will be 100% compatible.

I will have a look at the components you mentioned. Will propably install with air to test the system and plan in the WC for a month or so after.

I have my eye on a second hand ABit Nforce 2 MB for my barton too, to have a play with. Maybe I will play with a cheap WC on this in the meantime.

It's been a while...... so much to catch up on!

Thanks Again!!!

I currently have mine running at 400Mhz and I just have the stock coolers on there. It's probably getting a little bit of air from the 120mm fan I have over my RAM, so I figure that's enough.
Oh and I'm running it on Auto voltage, so it seems like a voltage bump is not needed.

Back