• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 800 vs DDR2 1066

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nathias

Registered
I’m planning on building a new gaming PC with a Core 2 Extreme QX6700 and ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus (nForce 650i or 680i), but I’m having a difficult time wrapping my brain around what kinda memory I need. I’m not quite getting the whole FSB speed and what memory timings are good no matter how many articles I read trying to figure it out.

Originally, I had planned on getting the CORSAIR Dominator 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) since I saw that the FSB on the processor specs was 1066. Now with multipliers for memory, I guess don’t need to get the DDR2 1066, and I can get a slower memory? I also read that 1066 memory isn’t supported on the 650i chipset…so I was concerned about that as well.

I am planning on OC’ing the processor to about 3 Ghz. Can anyone offer me some assistance on what memory I need for my gaming rig? Thanks in advance.

The CPU your intrested in has mulitplers from 6 to 60.. in reality any DDR2 that will boot will do..

The CPU is quad pumped to the FSB and the ram is double pumped.. so 1066 on the CPU is 266FSB stock and 1066 FSB Ram would be a bit over 500FSB stock.

Havin a 1:1 DRAM:FSB at 500 would be nice.....

But I have not seen a lot of 680i MBs that can push the CPU that far.

However I have seen 680i MB do do quite well when it comes to OCing memory. It does 555 x 2 = 1111 on my dominators quite easy.

Last edited:
Back