• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time mounting a WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Isaac MM

Registered
Well, i might buy the parts for a WC, the problem is that this would my first WC ever and i have zero experience on mounting...So is it complicated to mount, or risky?

Not complicated to assemble or mount, but you need to plan out your components and measure out your mounting points in the case you will be using. For suggestions on components list what you plan to cool i.e cpu, gpu, ram, nb and also the case you will be using.

OK, here is the list of components

Pump: Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo
Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3
CPU block: D-TEK FuZion
GPU block: EK-FC8800GTX

I dont know what other components to buy, like clamps and all those small things or how many of them i need. I dont know which tubing or reservoir to buy either

My case is a Stacker STC-T01

How many clamps would i need?

And about mounting and putting everything together, how do i do it?

Thanks a lot for the help

You need 2 clamps per block, 2 for the Thermochill, 2 for the pump, and 2 for the res - so a total of 10 there. If you're getting a fillport you will need one more for it - at least my Petra's fillport needed one. A lot of people with res'es don't use them, though - it's a personal choice.

I go to the auto parts store to get my clamps - stainless steel with brass mechanism. I think they're the best except for the "slot-less" clamps you can get from McMaster-Carr. Not all auto parts stores carry the good ones, though, so be careful what you get. The tubing is also available from McMaster-Carr - Tygon R-3603 or MasterKleer are both great stuff as WonderingSoul mentioned! Some people with $$$ are also using the Tygon Silver.

A lot of guys like a res - I prefer a T-line using 3/4" tubing instead of 1/2". It has about half the storage of a Swiftech Micro but IMO is much cleaner looking and easier to use. It's also a little cheaper ... :)

Isaac MM said:

personally the worm drive clamps look too backyard mechanic to me. And remember, you will only need a couple clamps that are "removable" for cleaning or reconfiguring needs. Some guys just use zip ties which, IMO look sleek and finished (just swing the head around to the back side of the barbs) not to mention they are alot less expensive. Your EK blocks have barbs that have 3 sections (2 ribbed areas) and a zip tie fits nicely in the center area...see pic. Also, they are easily removed..just snip the head off with the end of a pair of scissors.

I used the black reusable clamps that came with my GT CPU block for removing the tube from it and on the barb coming from the pump to remove tube from it to get my whole mobo and all wc components out together with the mobo tray...so only 2 tube ends need to be reusable

Attachments

• loop1.jpg
    loop1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Isaac MM said:

Alot of people do it this way.

Attachments

• Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 63
Back