• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I just did something stupid. Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nikandedd

My Swiftech Mcp655 pump came on friday, and today I got a chance to play with it at school. Plugged it in, tested it's different settings to see how loud each one was, yadda yadda, unplugged it. the astute reader has noticed my stupid mistake. I ran it dry. Today I got home, read the little piece of paper warning me that to do so was a really, really, bad idea.

Dang.

overall, it was on for about 30 seconds. Do I order a new one?

-NK

Can't say for sure until you try running it wet.
You can put an impromptu loop together with a radiator and a few feet of tubing and a T line to run it without installing it in the vict...er, computer to know for sure.
Just make sure you have as much air out as can be before turning it on again.

I'm not familiar with that particular pump, but I'm pretty sure you did no serious harm. I would just test it out with some water and make sure it still pumps properly.

Yeah, just put some tubes on both ends and stick them in some clean water. Preferably distilled. You can use coolant or something, just make sure the water is clean to prevent further dmg.

--pak

just run in water and see what happens....

If its broken, when you take the pump apart you will understand why it needs the water....

Thanks guys, that will help me sleep better tonight. Updates tomorrow after figure out whats up.

If you only ran it for 30 seconds, my guess would be that it will still work. My other guess is that if the pump does still function, it will fail sooner than it would have otherwise. If it still runs though, go ahead and use what's left. Just be sure you've got overtemp shutdown enabled in your bios and the temperature setting is appropriate for your CPU.

Those pumps should ship with a a big red warning tag. Too many people plug them in and only later read the manual. :bang head :bang head :bang head There was another thread like this just a month or two ago, and I bet if there are two people with enough confidence to talk about their mistake in the forum, there have been many more who just bought a new pump and never said anything about the first one.

someone correst me here it I got it wrong but it's about water:

A) "supporting" part of the weight of the impeller/bearing assembly and preserving proper alignment of the shaft.
B) cooling/lubricating the bearing and/or seal.
C) all of the above.
D) keeping it real Homies.

Okay, heres the news. The pump still runs fine, thankfully, Today I went and bought a gallon of distilled water, primed the pump, and set it a'workin. It nearly empited the jug in about 15 seconds.

So the verdict is, youre Swiftech MCP655 uses scary language, and will still run if you run it dry for a short period of time.

I'm glad your pump survived, Nikandedd. The MCP350 in a similar thread did not, though. I'd say you dodged a bullet.

Back