• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SH6 & heatsink choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pawlusho

ABIT SH6 & heatsink choice

I own an Abit Slot 1 SH6 mb. This Saturday my Pentium III 1000E Fc-PGA OEM is arriving. I bought an Asus S-370DL adapter. I have intentions of buying the Alpha Pepp 66 heatsink, but I am worried that the row of capacitors between the CPU slot & first row of memory will block the width of the heatsink (width-2 7/16 or 62mm). Does anyone know whether I can use this heatsink with the flipchip adapter on this mb? Are there any other wise choices of heatsinks with this set-up? I don t want the first row of memory to be unuseable. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Unfortunatly I have the same problem with one of my older machines. I finally settled on a thermallake golden orb. Its not the best by any means but i didn't loose a dim slot either.

Hope this helps

Abit SH6 & choice of heatsink

Thank you for replying. I have seen some reviews of the Abit SH6 with the Golden Orb attached to the CPU. I have ordered the Alpha Pep66 already and if necessary will use the dremel to cut some of the fins in order to clear any capacitors. There is ample room for the heatsink, the problem is with the capacitors which seem to be level with the height of Slot 1 CPU and memory slots.

It will fit, I have a P3V4X, PEP66 and a S370-DL and it has less room compared to the SH6, but it is a perfect fit (~2mm between HS and first RAM slot), I recently added a Peltier and 3/8" coldplate.....lost two RAM slots :( , but I wasn't going to use them anyhow (bad for OCing).

Nice thing with the PEP66 on a slocket is (when you have the fan sucking) that it will cool the 'greenie' at the same time:) .

Absolute best would be a Millennium Glaciator. :) I used it on my slocket system without losing DIMMs...however, to have it fit on the slocket, I had to grind away the bottom edge closest to the motherboard. (This was on an Abit Slotket III.) Also, the socket retention arm on that slocket falls below the socket line; on some slockets (like the Iwill) it stays above the socket line and such prevents the HSF from properly attaching...though it might not be the case with a Glaciator II.

Another possibility is getting a Thermoengine V60-2010 (low profile) and slapping on a delta. This puts it at the same height as the mini copper orb; both HSFs fit on my slocket system without losing DIMMs.

It will fit. I have a pep66 and even with the additonal thickness of a copper plate and peltier, I can still use the first dimm slot.

SH6 & Choice of heatsink

Well I finally connected the Alpha Pep66 to the Pentium III 1Ghz. At first I thought I would have to do some cutting, but upon close examination the heatsink cleared over one capacitor which was under the row of capacitors I mentioned in my original post. I will start slowly raising the FSB with a burn-in program until I reach 133 FSB. This is my goal so that I can use my PC133 memory to its minimal capacity.

Back