• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR memory pc2700 at CAS2.5 or pc2400 at CAS2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjerguy

Hello all

I have just registered at the forum and have LOTS of questions for the overclocking gurus here. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer. ;)

Which is better for overclocking the faster pc2400 (CL2) or the slightly slower pc 2700 (C2.5)? I ask because at a certain internet store they offer a $7 upgrade to the pc2700 when you order the pc2400.

And generally which size module, 256vs 512 or ?? and which brand seems to do the best, do you use and recommend?

I have Twinmos pc2100 CL2 at the moment and want to try a more aggressive clocking like the 2400 or 2700.

So, what is the reputation of the different brands?
Corsair, Twinmos, OCZ, Crucial, Kingmax...

Oh, and what about this small factor Twinmos memory??? The Tiny BGA????

Thanks for the help. Memory is a pretty important component of a PC. There is a lot of general info out there but little that seems to compare and recommend a certain brand--which is what you end up having to do when you want to buy some DDR-RAM.

Michael Rogers

My avatar and sig <here>

From all the people I have spoken regarding module size the common thinking is as few a chips as possible i.e 1 x 512 instead of 2 x 256.
Brands I have heard very good things about Kingmax, the crucial rates well for the price too.

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to the forums!!
Crucial makes some excellent memory, IMO. and read the articles in the tip section..there very informative, and they cover ALOT of subjects. If you cant find an answer there..then Post it here..everyone will be happy to help where they can.

id not get anything above pc2400, and even then i should have only gotten pc2100, as that is still hitting pc2700 speeds. basically until they have actual pc2700 (not pc2100 that just happens to get lucky enough to hit pc2700 speed). Maybe they do already im not that currect. But itll save a few bucks, and still with pc2700 (166mhz) there is not gaureentee that you will even be able to boot up that high, considering the other parts in the system

memory for AMD

Thanks for the info. I guess this should have been posted in the "memory" forum here. Sorry. I did read up a bit there and read some diapointing things about OCZ memory.

But it seems that Crucial is VERY well thought of (and cheap, $35 for 256mg CL2 at Bestbuy.com) as is Corsair.

Again thanks for the info.

Michael Rogers

Welcome aboard! :)

Don't worry about accidentally misposting....I'll just stick it over there for ya. :)

*Moved to "Memory"*

Back