• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Block info?! Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evolved_st8

Anyone know of a good HD cooling block that ISNT the Koolance HD-55-L06. I want something w/ 1/2 inch fittings as the rest of my water loop is 1/2 inch. Also I want a ram block w/ the same fittings. Any suggestions? On the HD block i'd prefer if it cooled 2 HD's at once but if its just one i could deal. Let me know what you think. Just looking for a good suggestion.

thanks bro. thats exactly what im looking for. now to see if i can make it fit in my case. I dont have the 2 5 1/4 drive bays availible :bang head

Would be nice if you only had two hard drives. I have a few more then that though, and just have them horizontally mounted with a big, slow, silent 12cm fan blowing across them, and they stay cool to the touch. The HDDs are even quite a bit louder then the fan itself. I'd say save the $100 and use it towards something else instead, like the x2900xtx when it launches.

You won't be able to find any 1/2" ID memory blocks, nearly all of them use 1/4". IMO watercooling memory is ridiculous, but if you really want to, I recommend HD and RAM on a separate loop, with 1/2" to 1/4" reducers in there somewhere.

I am using a DD aquadrive and am pleased with it. It knocks about 7c off of my seagates over intake aircooling alone, and is very non-restrictive. I'm not going to get into the debate over watercooling hard drives, but it serves my purpose.

Please post pics voigits so we can see how it all fits together....

MM UFOs now come with a bracket to hold the HD to a fan... im wondering if the water block can fit around these brackets etc.

I presume we are water cooling hds just for looks right?

voigts said:
I am using a DD aquadrive and am pleased with it. It knocks about 7c off of my seagates over intake aircooling alone, and is very non-restrictive. I'm not going to get into the debate over watercooling hard drives, but it serves my purpose.
Why are you water cooling your hard drives? Man, that's just ridiculous. Just put a low-cfm fan over them for some airflow...

:bday:

(I should add that I'd water cool my Raptors if I could find a 4-bay cooler.. those puppies are super warm)

Mycobacteria said:
anyone use them pics?
do they fit in MM u2 ufo?

Thats the case I have. So i need 2 of these Dual Drive coolers. But i dont think they fit in the mounting brackets of the U2. Right now i have 4 HD's. I would go w/ the koolance but TOO MUCH FLOW RESTRICTION. Burns me up:mad:

aaronjb said:
Why are you water cooling your hard drives? Man, that's just ridiculous. Just put a low-cfm fan over them for some airflow...

:bday:

(I should add that I'd water cool my Raptors if I could find a 4-bay cooler.. those puppies are super warm)

I have heard that line of reasoning too many times, and have gotten into one too many threads about people that think that watercooling hard drives is completely useless, stupid, waste of money, etc., etc. I like the DD Aquadrive, and it serves my purpose. I have a custom wood case with an acrylic hard drive mount, so there is no metal to act as a heatsink for the sides as with a normal case. Hard drives are designed to shed their heat through the sides. So watercooling mine is not a looks thing. Watercooling hard drives is really not a performance issue. I just find that cooler drives live longer. The other reason would be to cut down on case heat and needed airflow resulting in less noise.

Here is the only pic I can seem to dig up without dragging out my camera.

drainPump.jpg

Last edited:
To voigits:

Ohhhh I can kinda see it only cools the sides, thats not a lot of contact area, would you not rather have it cool the top of the HD? Not that it matters to me I would rather have it this way considering I have the Raptor X.

We are not questioning you on "is it worth while" because honestly if I get it I would consider it "sport" and "looks" rather than prefromance etc. But out of coriosity how much cooler is it compared to just havin a fan on the Raptor HD and does it run faster than 10,000 RPM on water?

Anyway looks good, but im still not certain if it can be mounted into my MM U2 UFO.

I presume they suport the 1/2" ID tubes because I dont use anything else...

I presume the acrylic is your doing not a DD thing and you had not considered using metal????

It does not cool the full lenth of the HD am I correct the barb finished up just before the end of the HD???

Are you familar with the MM U2 UFOs HD rack? Do you think this HD water block would work out for me???

Last edited:
voigts said:
Here is the only pic I can seem to dig up without dragging out my camera.
I love that wood case! I remember that thread, tons of effort on your part to put that together.

Are there any 4-bay HDD blocks out there?

I only have two seagate 7200s, but it cuts the temp down by about 7c over just an intake fan blowing on them. The hard drives are not going to spin any faster, but especially with raptors, it will substantially cut down on their temps.

The acrylic is something I did as it goes with my case.

The hard drive block doesn't cover the entire side of the drives, but it doesn't need in order to work well. Asetek makes a cooler that mounts onto the underside of the drive, but it requires the heat transfer pad to work well, is more expensive, and doesn't work any better than a side type cooler. In their own testing from what i read, Asetek's side mounted cooler performed a bit better than the underside cooler. And their side mounted cooler only cools one drive, not two.

And yes, the DD uses 1/2" barbs. I also bought mine as i got it for only $60 slightly used on the forums when I got it, and it has churned away flawlessly for about 1 1/2" years now.

I honestly know nothing about the hard drive rack in your U2 Myco.

aaronjb said:
I love that wood case! I remember that thread, tons of effort on your part to put that together.

Are there any 4-bay HDD blocks out there?

Thanks. I still like my case, which for me is amazing given that I am a hopeless perfectionist. I made one in the exact same style as mine but aircooled and and smaller for my daughter. I will have to take pics and post them. She really likes it and was asking me for some time after I made mine to make her one like it.

There are no 4 hdd blocks that I am aware of.

Ive been thinking about it and unfortunately I doubt that it will work in the MM U2UFO.

If I use the water block I can no longer attach the HD to the fan ie I can no longer mount the HD into the case....

I hope one day DD get together with MM and make a MM U2 UFO friendly HD water block...

Back