• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for gathering WC components...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

I am new to water cooling, but am looking to build an extremely cool rig(figuretively and literally).

I have heard that purchasing WC Kits is like buying a box of tinker toys. So, with that in mind (and please correct me if I'm wrong), what is the best setup of WC components you use (or can think of) for the best cooling for my CPU (and possibly VGA etc.).

Thanks so much

I purchased all of my parts from www.performance-pcs.com They have a huge selection and decent prices.

Petra's Tech Shop is great too.

No need to gather. Just select the parts you want and order. :)

If you pick and choose from this list you will have a kickass water cooling system, but you will spend a decent amount of money ($250-$300ish)

Radiators:
Thermochill PA 120.3 or 120.2 - very expensive but the best PC radiator that you can buy
Switech 120x2 or 120x3 - very good radiators, but half the price of a Thermochill

Pump:
DDC+ good flow and lots of pressure
D5/MCP 655 (I think that's the model) - pretty high flow pumps, both are the same pump

GPU:
Eddie K full coverage block - pretty much limited to specific cards though
Swiftech (forget the model #... something 60)

CPU:
Swiftech Storm
Swiftech Apogee GT
D-Tek Fuzion

Reservoir:
Eddie K cylinder rez
Swiftech Micro rez
Dangerden Fillport with T-line
or just a regular T-line (what I'm using right now)

Tubing:
Masterkleer
Tygon - more expensive but no real difference

Fans:
Scythe S-Flex F fans - expensive, but quiet but push a good amount of air
Yate Loons - quiet but not as strong as the scythe... good cheap fans

Last edited:
I built my cooling systems with Danger Den parts. I am sure other manufacturers are just as good but I am partial to DD. I think they have the best GPU blocks out there and the best and quietest pump (the D5), thats just my opinion. I am currently using a TDX cpu block but want to upgrade to a Storm. The TDX is no slouch in itself tho. Tygon tubing is supposed to be the best but is a little pricey. It's good tubing and will last forever. I have the PA120.3, such a killer rad, and a BIX2, also an excellent rad. As far as fans go you are on your own. There are like 8 million opinions on all the different ones and you will hear good and bad about each. I use Silverstone FM-121 fans. They are ok. Just wish I could find a serious air flow fan that you can run wide open without so much noise, but then again who doesn't? Never heard of those Scythe fans Alien listed. Will have to take a look indeed.

Good Luck and trust me, when you finish and see your temps, you will be very happy you went water and not air.

I'd agree with Alien1099 and GTFouts on everything except the storm waterblock as long as we're talking BUYING NEW. It was good in its day but with the existence of the Apogee GT and GTX now, its basically obsolete relative to the newer ones.. Swiftech even say it themselves (i.e. whats-his-name.. Gabe?) . Again its a good block (not trying to start any controversy) but for a new build go with either an Apogee GT, Apogee GTX or D-Tek Fuzion... they're all so close in terms of performance and for anyone but the most @nal hair-splitting arguments on forums about which is better down to a degree C difference or two, for the rest of us you can't go wrong with any of those three.

After analyzing all the best of breed components I wanted to buy (i.e. Apogee GT, Swiftech MCP55 pump, etc.) I realized my local store had the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra kit in stock and so I just got that because it already had all of the best-of-breed components I was going to purchase separately anyway, plus little accessories that most n00bs wouldn't know to buy when piecing a kit together, like hose barbs/hose clamps/velcro/tube springs, etc. plus it comes with a handy step-by-step installation manual with checklist. i.e. http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=245943

I'm REAL happy with the swiftech kit.. it gives my CPU so much thermal headroom.. I also bought a Thermalright HR-05 heatsink for the northbridge instead of adding northbridge cooling to my water loop because everyone that's been through it before told me does as good a job on the northbridge as water but for $18!).

I'm not going to bother watercooling my 8800GTX because right now there are no games that need any more power than what it has on air cooling, and once Crysis comes out and the 8900GTX and 8950GTX cards come out, I don't want to be stuck with a full-coverage $125 waterblock like an EK that only fits one card, since I'd probably be dumping my 8800GTX on ebay.

Last edited:
Since I haven't really been paying attention to CPU blocks since the Storm was all the rage I must now go check out these Apogee blocks...Thanks odditory.

Yes...all the extra crap that noone tells you about...definetly need all that. Jab-tech has alot of cool stuff to choose from and alot of colors also.

hose clamps - basically 2 types, the plastic snap on which you can get in different colors or the stainless steel screw on type

fan screws - all depends on how you are mounting the fans, whether you have shrouds or not, what type of grill you use, whether you want to use nuts or use the fan mounting hole as the nut. All that makes the length and size important as well as the color of the screw if you are that particular.

fan grills - Tons of these to choose from. I use these because they look great, keep alot more dust and trash out of the case and the screen is removable for cleaning without taking anything apart.
http://www.jab-tech.com/120mm-Black-Frame-Aluminum-Fan-Filter-pr-2696.html

fan controllers - You may want 1 or 2 of these depending on the number of fans you end up with just to keep the noise down. With numerous fans cranking wide open it does get a tad noisey so this will let you turn them down but still maintain decent air flow and turn them back up if you really get the PC cranking on some heavy stuff.

coolant or water additives - Personal choice on this. Just remember that algae build up is always a concern and alot of these things help considerably. Keeps you from draining and cleaning when adding some of this would have stopped it.

shrouds for the rad - This again is another arguement of alot of people. Some say it makes a difference some say it doesn't. Read around and make your own decision. Most rads have shrouds available, just gotta search for them sometimes.

tubing support such as cool sleeves - I personally recommend this for the tubing. They are a pain to put on and take a bit of time but it keeps the tubing from kinking and slowing down flow and they do look cool if you have the proper lighting.

Artic Silver 5 - A must in my opinion. At least this used to be the best. Might be better out there now but I doubt it.

Can't really think of much else. Have fun...

Back