• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinion for a first timer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psi

Well I am planning on rebuilding my rig. Going with the e6600.
With my old set up, i hated the noise, the 747 setting on my desk drove me nuts.

What I am wondering is, is the cpu water coolers kit from newegg good enough to met my needs?
Like cooler master Aquagate, or the thermaltake version?

I do plan on OC the cpu. But the budget is limited. Maybe around $100 ?
I figured a descent air cooled HS,fans etc I could do a descent W/C for the cpu. Or maybe I am hoping.
Any ideas? or suggestions?

Since you are on a tight budget I would just go with something like the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme and a quiet Yate Loon fan.

Last edited:
The 120 extreme, that thing is massive. I'm worried that it wont fit. Maybe it just looks larger in picture?

A 120x with those fans, any guess what type of temps i might run? With a moderate OC?

Also what type of budget would i need? That way I can save for down the road.

You are probably looking at upwards of $200-$300 for a decent WC build. Too bad it is still out of my budget. Since I am a newb to WC though, I am going to give the Big Water kit a try just to get my feet wet.

Figure $200 - $250 for a no-frills WC rig that clearly outperforms high end air.

The problem with low-end kits like the Bigwater is that there is no good upgrade path to serious watercooling. You'll wind up replacing the whole thing eventually.

If you must go kit the swiftech variants are upgradeable as otter points out, but you really aren't saving anything by buying it all together. The research into each individual element will teach you a lot about watercooling before you even have any component in your hand. I bummed around on forums for a good 6 months before I even considered purchasing anything.

jackrungh said:
If you must go kit the swiftech variants are upgradeable as otter points out, but you really aren't saving anything by buying it all together. The research into each individual element will teach you a lot about watercooling before you even have any component in your hand. I bummed around on forums for a good 6 months before I even considered purchasing anything.

Sounds good, since i dont have the money, I can do just that. Also get more of a understanding of things.

I just didnt know if getting a bigwater kit would do the job, better then air cooling for now until later on to upgrade to a custom kit.

You can see my WC setup in my sig. Now that I'm building a new gaming rig ,to leave my HTPC to be simply an HTPC, I'm doing just what Inkfx suggests (Though with a Scythe S-Flex I have laying around). I may WC eventually, but I'd rather spend the money now on a better CPU, Video card, RAM, etc. and WC it later when I have additional disposable income.

I would suggest the Swiftech H20-120 Premium kit for $150.

Everythign you need to get you started, and it's upgradable.

That should be enough to get you started.

The problem with getting a really cheap kit is that you risk getting cheap parts. Like I got a TT Bigwater, and the acrylic gpu waterblock crack and fried my graphics card.

freakdiablo said:
The problem with getting a really cheap kit is that you risk getting cheap parts. Like I got a TT Bigwater, and the acrylic gpu waterblock crack and fried my graphics card.

Aye, thats what we dont want, I guess the moral of this is, get a good kit the first time, saves money in the long run.

Also, whats HTPC? I'm a noob remember lol:beer:

Back