• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

risingsun

JW, isn't watercooling supposed to be quiet? My systems resiviour makes the sound of running water....I don't mind it, but do mast res. do that, or is mine filled wrong/crappy.

I love that sound of the water, mine does it as well. Think it may be caused by turbulance in the loop which causes it to slosh around.

It depends on your res. Sounds like the inlet of your res is too close to the waterline. Mine res is a 8 inch tube, with the inlet at the center of the cylinder, fill at top, and outlet at bottom. When filled the water level sits a good 3 inches above the inlet.

So most likely your res is crappy. The only good commercial res's are Eddy EK's.

I dont mind the sound, I actually like it too, i just wanted to make sure my system was working right....just installed it two weeks ago.

As for the res, its not vertical(which is what urs sounds like), mine uses a 5.25 bay.

You should top it off with water as much as will fit, but it sounds like you're doing fine.

I hate the sound of water because any sound of water and I start to think leak.

For the first week while it was still bleeding I could sometimes hear water, but after that no water noize since.

I have made my own res and it's very quiet.

I think a res with a partition and a large volume of water helps.

Last edited:
I never used to run a res, just had a fill tube and I don't remember hearing water noise during normal operation. All I heard were the fans and pump.

SiGfever said:
Get a Swiftech "MicroRes", they are very quiet and easy to bleed.
only part of my loop i hear are the fans. My microres make no noise. Had that issue with the TT Aquabay M1, the water was falling into the res and sounded like a fountain, If you can make you return into the res below the water level you should eliminate the sound, if the return line is above water level in the res, well you will have the falling water sound. Like a water fall. Try putting more water into the loop.

Bay reservoirs really don't work very well. They are hard to fill, and don't bleed very well. I make my own reservoirs, and mine is completely silent with no water sounds whatsoever.

My return line is above the water line and the stream hits the front of my res. It makes a sound like a fountain. Plus it gives it a neat look. I have a divider to keep any air from entering the suction side of the res.

It is ok to hear water. I like it too. Just make sure you are not alowing air to get pulled back into the system....

Back