• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much would a GPU block raise my temps? and which block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

Started over voltn my 7900GT, and at 1.3v, I am hitting 61c loaded with ATI tool. I want more. I don't think I want a full face. A gpu block and ram sinks should do fine. I don't know if there is one, but I'd like one that will work on my 7900gt and a 8800 for future use if possible. If not, no big deal.

Lastly, how much would this raise my CPU temps if at all.

--pak

It depends on what rad and other items you have in your loop. Short answer, not much. If you can get the extra heat out of your system then you may only see a degree or 2.

I wouldn't say "not much". Anywhere from 5-15°C, depending on what radiators you have.

As in, single 120, double rad, triple rad, heatercore, etc.

You may be better off getting the thermalright VGA cooler.

if you have @ least a 2s120 rad I saw the temp drop on your vga will be worth it you will get more gains out of the gfx card than you do the cpu

Doesn't really matter as any of them will work just fine. I'd get either the new Dtek block or the MCW60 since they're compatible with the 7 and 8 series.

The maze5 isn't compatible with the 8series I don't think...

MCW60 but you'll also need the adapter plate for the 8800. With a 3x120 you shouldn't see much of an increase at all.

Yeah typically with a 2x120 or larger rad you are looking at maybe a 1-2c increase for the whole loop.

Maviryk said:
I wouldn't say "not much". Anywhere from 5-15°C, depending on what radiators you have.

As in, single 120, double rad, triple rad, heatercore, etc.

You may be better off getting the thermalright VGA cooler.

Well then in my case....it went up only about 2 C or so....

It is only a BIP with 2 120s in push pull. My video never gets above 41 and my cpu stays at 34 loaded. I am sure with a bigger rad it would be even better. I would not worry about adding your GPU to the loop. The OC Benefit far outweighs the slight loop temp increase..

Jas said:
Yeah typically with a 2x120 or larger rad you are looking at maybe a 1-2c increase for the whole loop.

Agreed. Due to a broken DC pump, I had to join my two separate loops, and even with two full face GTS blocks, my CPU temps are within 1-2°C of what they were before. The CPU was on a 1X120, and the GPUs were on a 2X120 heatercore. GPUS are running at pretty much the same temp too.

Just to chime in again. Just killed my 7900 on another thread here.

Anyway....After removing the GPU block from my loop, my CPU temp only dropped 1C loaded. Idle may be a little more.

Just wanted to let you know for REAL what it is...

Back