• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with Ram suggestions (Noob)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GC1983

Registered
Hi guys, my new rig is currently in the making and i'm in need of some ram suggestions.

Motherboard will be either an ASUS P5B or a ASUS P5W-DH seeing as i'll never have the need for the SLI option. I'm thinking more toward the P5W as i'd like to have the 2 x IDE option.

I've recently purchased a Coolermaster 600W Igreen power supply (please hold back from flames) and i'll be running either a E6600 or E6700.

I'm tossing up between the two as i've found a supplier in Australia where I can get a e6700 for $330 (OEM) as opposed to an E6600 which I can pick up for $290. With only a $40 difference, I think i'll be steering toward the E6700.

I'll be using a Raedon HIS x1550 video card from my old machine for the time being until I get more funds.

Regarding cooling, It will all be air and i'll be using a Tuniq tower HSF for my cpu.

My oc'ing will be no way near as extreme as others and i'll be happy with 3.0ghz for an E6700 running on air.

Now that that's all out of the way, I seem to be confused in regards to RAM.

Is there much of a difference between Generic and brand named ram?

I'll be looking at getting either 667mz-800mhz 2x1g sticks of ram.

I'm open to all suggestions regarding ram.

The last time I had to buy ram, the market wasn't as big as it is today which is why i'm so puzzled.

Look forward in hearing from some answers.

Thanks in advance guys :)

The biggest difference to me between the larger companies and some of those smaller ones is warranty and customer service. When you buy from a smaller company you may not get the help when you need it. Since you probably wont be doing heavy OCing you wont need the real pricey memory. I think Corsair sells some cheaper RAM while having some of the best support out there.

True, but for only a $30U.S Difference, I'm thinking it may be beneficial to go for the e6700.

Anyhow, back to ram ..... :)

Back