• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Questions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the-painkiller

After lots of reading on watercooling on this forum and numerous others I have decided to build my own watercooling set up, I have already made my own radiator from a air conditioning condenser ( I think that's what it's called).

I plan on building my own waterblock out of copper with a plastic top and was wondering what is the best plastic to use?

I was also wondering what your thoughts are on compression fittings in a watercooling loop. I plan on using nickel plated ones for 10mm ID tubing, any idea of where I could find them in Australia? They seem fairly expensive do they sell cheap ones?

Thanks

the-painkiller said:
After lots of reading on watercooling on this forum and numerous others I have decided to build my own watercooling set up, I have already made my own radiator from a air conditioning condenser ( I think that's what it's called).

I plan on building my own waterblock out of copper with a plastic top and was wondering what is the best plastic to use?

I was also wondering what your thoughts are on compression fittings in a watercooling loop. I plan on using nickel plated ones for 10mm ID tubing, any idea of where I could find them in Australia? They seem fairly expensive do they sell cheap ones?

Thanks

I'd say something like Acetal, but I don't think any of the thermoplastic polymer materials would be castable at home. I'm not sure a urethane would handle the heat at the base. A plastics expert would know more.

As for the compression fittings, I don't see why you couldn't use them. I suspect that most ppl avoid them because of the cost. If you do use them, I would recommend some sort of support mechanism to prevent them from bending. I have never used them because my tubing gets jostled around alot when I'm tinkering inside the case, which would inevitably cause the fittings to leak.

Thx for the feedback gnarl,

i think you Misunderstood my question about plastics, I wasn't planning on casting it but rather buying in 10mm thick sheets and cutting to size. I'll look into acetal. i found a plastic store that is nearby so I may ring them up an see what they think.

As for compression fittings they do seem fairly flimsy, They are are quite costly the cheapest I could find on the net where $6 AU each. I may just settle for nickel plated barbs w/ hose clamps.

PS has anyone ever bought anything from PCCG, Ive been looking at their stuff and it seems reasonably priced. I may consider buying a PSU sleeving kit from them.

Back