• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

N/B S/B MCW 30 standoff's..what I did for evga 680i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeffnWV

Since I had to mod my SB for my EVGA 680i and 8800 gtx (SB screw hits card) I got hardware at local store (Lowe's) and made my own standoffs for both NB and SB.

Parts are 1/4"nylon spacers, and 3/4" 4-40 screws and nuts. I used the nylon spring bushings that come with the chipset blocks and slid it down inside the top of the spacer.
The combination of the nut, nylon spacer and nylon bushing create the PERFECT distance needed (just under 10cm). The mounting plate rests a hair line above the bushing (which acts as a soft washer with "some" compression for tightening tolerance), when the copper block rests on the chipset.

I ran a nut all the way down on the screw of the SB block where it comes up under the GFX card to shorten it the thickness of the nut, so that when it is run up through the mobo from the backside, it and the top nut clear the gfx card by 3/32".

I would have rested the nylon bushing on the mobo but I wanted the screw to be bolted to the mobo (per original mounting application) so it would let me do maintenance on the waterblock. FYI, I am told that the kit that Swiftech is making for these has a threaded standoff which "should" act to secure the mounting screw to the mobo

I know I could have reversed the screw, but again, I wanted the screw to be bolted to the mobo. (no need to remove mobo to reattach the mounting hardware)

The screws are identical thread as what's shipped with the MCW30 so the sweet lil black finger nuts can be used, but the nuts that come with the new screws are larger which is better for stability when mounting to the mobo. Any force on the wb causes the mobo to flex and not the waterblock, so this is very solid. I also used the thin fiber washers that came with the wb's.

So, cheap, effective and hardware from your local store. (I painted the nylon spacers black ;) )

Attachments

• NBstandoff2.jpg
    NBstandoff2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
The pics are just the NB please post pics of the SB and then pics of the whole set up please with the graphics cards installed.

What did you end up doin with the old stock cooler?

Does it help you to OC the FSB more, if so how much more?

the second pic is the south bridge...shows the little hex nut where the card would be

Attachments

• SBstandoff2.jpg
    SBstandoff2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
couple clearance pics of SB

Attachments

• clearance1.jpg
    clearance1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
system isn't back together yet, waiting on a few things from snail mailer Danger Den to get here monday.
Since my DDC-2 went out last week I decided to get my second loop stuff and hence the chipset coolers.

I'm gonna try the new db-1 pumps for my main loop and if they don't do well I'll throw the replacement DDC-2 w/ PTS top back in.

I have 2 of the db-1 pumps in series for my Apogee GT CPU / EK GTX x2 blocks with 7/16 Tygon and pa 120.3 loop.

I will setup the new DDC-2 pump (without top) for the second loop..NB/SB and 2 pc9200 mem sinks with a Black Ice Pro single 120 rad in the rear of the case. Since the mem sinks come with 1/4" barbs, I plan to run the loop in 1/4" and see how it does.

Once the tubes go on will the tubes touch the vid card? Because it looks like the inlet /outlet on the water block is dam close to the side of the vid card.

Sorry about the questions but I plan to do the same for the striker extreme....

Mycobacteria said:
Once the tubes go on will the tubes touch the vid card? Because it looks like the inlet /outlet on the water block is dam close to the side of the vid card.

Sorry about the questions but I plan to do the same for the striker extreme....

no prob

Attachments

• clearance3.jpg
    clearance3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 102
those swiftech barb holes are pretty big too, the hex nut of the high flow fittings I have from Petra's could literally go inside that outer ring if you could run it in that far...IOW, the fitting itself is smaller than the outer perimiter of the barb hole...even 1/2 tubing would/could clear the board

Last edited:
If the water block was any thicker or if you used stock cooling on that GPU you might have some problems... may I ask what GPU water block you use?

yes, you would not be able to use this wb if you used the stock fan/HS for the 8800GTX. However, how many people would water cool their system, especially the NB & SB and not wc the gpu?

For me it started out the opposite, I did the cpu and gpu's first, then decided to do the chipsets.

That's the EK full waterblock from Petra's

Back