• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I didn't know you were supposed to clean NEW parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raizy

Especially the radiator. When I read guides the only thing it mentioned was bleeding and leak testing. Not a single mention of cleaning new parts before installing.

Is it necessary ?

Well when parts come out from the manufacturer there are small particles and residue left behind due to the build process. It's recommended that you clean out all the new parts ( rad, blocks,pump) that way you're sure there won't be any issues when putting it together. Especially when you fill the system and notice some goo in the lines or something.

Also washing out the parts will ensure that the small particles left behind from the manufacturer will not damage the pump. All it takes is one tiny piece of metal/plastic to jam up the impeller or shaft and kill the pump.

Better to be safe now then to be sorry later ;)

I flushed my rad and it turned the vinegar from clear to milky and had lots of floaters in it.

Wow! I didn't know cleaning would be necessary. Nice to know since I hoping to move to water in the summer. :)

NoKtEm said:
how do you flush it without putting it through the pump?
or do what alot of guys do, get a secondary cheaper pump just for flushing, cleaning and filling your system.

Attachments

• flushing.jpg
    flushing.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 253
Crap, I may have to buy more tubing because if I remove my current tubing - which is 7/16" ID Masterkleer, it will be loose and I'll have to cut off that end. It may still be long enough to re-assemble the setup.

Can the Laing D5 pump be submerged? I am thinking of running the pump right under running tap water and to the radiator to flush. I'm really not sure what I'm doing.

I don't see any weird residues inside my tubing though...........

Ok the debris inside the cooling parts should of already showed up inside the tubes right? The loop has been running for about 3 days now and I don't see any debris or dirty things inside my loop...

I guess I'm luck to.

Attachments

• IMGP0337.JPG
    IMGP0337.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMGP0338.JPG
    IMGP0338.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMGP0339.JPG
    IMGP0339.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMGP0340.JPG
    IMGP0340.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 69
khriez said:
Crap, I may have to buy more tubing because if I remove my current tubing - which is 7/16" ID Masterkleer, it will be loose and I'll have to cut off that end. It may still be long enough to re-assemble the setup.

Can the Laing D5 pump be submerged? I am thinking of running the pump right under running tap water and to the radiator to flush. I'm really not sure what I'm doing.

I don't see any weird residues inside my tubing though...........

Just pick up a water pump from a pet store (fish aquariums or pond pump)

Yeah just the video card. My motherboard doesn't support overclocking through bios :p This was more of an investment watercooling setup for future build and.... well I thought it would be fun and to learn. :D

It's approx 90% distilled water and 10% antifreeze, a few drops of Iodine 2.5% tincture.... which has isopropyl alcohol in it (that makes me paranoid).

I have often advocated and will continue to recommend getting a waterbed fill kit and just hooking the loop up to the kitchen sink and force flushing out the loop. I then just drain and fill/drain with distilled, and then do a final fill. This works wonderfully and truly flushes everything out.

Back