• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bx440 and geforces cards compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grand106

Hello everybody

I have a question according my mobo ga-6bxc(revision 1.9) by gigabyte
I have heard that my mobo cannot support the geforce card(only version 2.0 and above can support the gf card ,those who have the voodoo jumpers as said in the faq at giga;s site)
It’s a matter of voltage they say
Simply my mobo cannot deliver the amount of voltage required –I think the gf needs3.3 volts-
But I have read in an article that the gf2 cards use less power and that they might work with motherboards like mine
Also I have seen a lot of posts using the ga-6bxc (with a low process or lower than my first used pentium2 350mhz ) who are using a gf2 mx .
So here is the question: does anyboby use the ga-6bxc with a gf2mx card?
What is your revison version?
If I cannot run a gf card is there anything else that uses less voltage and can work and improve my fps?
I don’t wont to change the mobo –I think great of the chipset 440 bx- cause now I have a celeron at 850 (fsb 100) soon to be at 950 and will see next.
256ram ,and a riva tnt based viper550 card agp
and by the way the adaptor from slot1 to socket 370 I used was the qdi socket 370 which is great.
Worked fine and has voltage regulator and everthing
3dmark 2000 1024*768 at 16 score : 2072

welcome to the forums!

I believe they are referring to the original Geforce cards, not the GF2. Original Geforces drew quite a bit higher amperage than some mobos were designed to supply- using a GF in the wrong board will kill the GF and probably the whole AGP slot, possibly the whole mobo.

I bet you will be just fine with a GF2MX- as I recall, those things only draw like 8 watts or so. Probably be ok with a GF2 as well, but personally I wouldn't risk it- then again I'm not much of a gambler:D

The reason Asus defaults it's Input-Output Voltage to 3.45, and Abit does this even to 3.5V is to support the original GeForce256 cards. So if you can adjust your Vio to around this you'll prolly be able to run a GeForce...

unfortunately i cannot adjust the voltage on my mobo.or at least i think i cant.any other cards that could improve performance without drying the power supply of the agp?

well, you should be fine with a modern Geforce card- GTS, Pro, and Ultra should all work for you- if you want to play it safe, try an MX card. Or if you want to skip nVidia altogether, ATi has some nice cards out these days also.

The voltage problem is is really only a concern with older video cards like Geforce Original. Any 3DFX product will work just fine for you also-

Ok here is the big headache
I send an email to hercules-guillemot about using a gf2mx or the kyro2 with my mobo
Ther answer below:
Dear sir,
Your mobo is ok.
We even recommend to run all our cards on agp2x as agp4x takes to much system
resources.
The motherboard should be agp 2.0 compliant and the power supply at least 235W.

And now what sisoft sandra says :power managemant capalities version 1.0
So the mobo isnt a 2.0 agp compliant

And now the answer from gigabyte (according a question for the gf2mx400)

Bla bla…I am afraid however that it is unlikekly to run this graphic card as the power requirements are too high.

Go figure.

Ive got a 6bxc revision 1.9b running a geforce 2 mx.
Everything runs fine, haven't had one problem since putting it in
I have the latest bios.. f4b i believe it is.

Hope this helps

ShaYmuS

ok shaymus first i would like to thank u for replying as of course all the other fellows that did the same
You wrote that you have the model 1.9b.B stands for something or you wrote it by accident.? Just to be sure your mobo doesnt have any switches named jp12 and jp13.i also see that you are using windows xp.have you used the card with millenium or 98 with no problem?(cause there was this fellow who couldnt run the mx card on 98 only with the windows2000)
no crashes during a game?

grand106 i do actually have revision 1.9. i just checked the board then and there is no B there. sorry about that.
I don't see any switches named jp12 or 13 on the mobo or in the manual so i don't believe i have them.
I used to have windows ME on before XP and it ran fine. Ive had no problems with it at all. Haven't had a crash in games since i got it. (Quake 3, Counter-Strike, Nascar 4)
I used sandra and it said my mobo isn't agp 2.0 compliant which the geforce 2 needs but it still works for me.
My card is the original geforce2mx so i don't know if the mx400 requires more power or not.

ShaYmus i would like to thank you for answering to my questons.
i may after all give it a try with the mx400 and see what happens.
thanks to monster of rock and lancelot too

Back