• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing ram! (DDR2 6400)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I picked up that second set last week, doesn't clock worth a damn for me... it tests fine at stock speeds, but anything more than a mild overclock on either CPU or memory gets me errors or no boot. Not sure if it's an issue with Gigabyte boards or what. I got a stick of Corsair XMS2 PC6400 chugging right along at 422MHz and works to 430 so far... wouldn't recommend that either though on account of quality control issues (1 of 2 sticks I bought were bad).

There is a pretty big difference between the two. As Chill pointed out the second set probably wont OC very well. However the first set you linked to have the D9GMH ICs which are very good overclockers. But if you really only want 3.4Ghz the first set should be fine since it will only require 377mhz out of them.

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-2gb...dr2-800-pc2-6400-non/q/loc/101/202541818.html
heres a great deal.ive used crucials rebates before and can vouch for their top notch service.this is the best deal on d9gmh ive found anywhere!buy.com isnt the greatest etailer but i havent had any issues with them(grabbed 8-10 things in last year or so).
anyhow back to your original question,the hzs are very nice modules.if you plan on running 1:1 tho either will take you to 3.4 ez.if your hunting for tight timings tho the hzs would be my choice.

I use the cheaper set. My system is a mild OC, and I have no problems with the red sticks. If it were me, I'd probably spend the extra and get the good stuff.

You only regret getting the good stuff when you pay for it. You regret buying the cheap stuff for as long you own the computer...

Back