• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grab a D5 now if you want it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moto7451

Senior Something
Just an FYI, I noticed that Danger Den, Swiftech, SVC, and other retailers have introduced a fixed speed D5 (a.k.a. D5 Strong) without the potentiometer and have started selling it at the old D5's (the D5-38 Vario) price. They have also started selling the old D5 with the potentiometer at a $10-$20 increase in price. Actually Swiftech is selling the "new" D5 at $10 higher than the old price for the variable speed one.

While I'm not sure why the price has gone up (could be that their wholesale went up), I think that anyone who wants the "old" D5-38 and can find it at the old $75 price should capitalize on it.

In terms of performance, the D5-Strong should perform the same, but is basically an all black D4 as the only real difference between the two was the potentiometer.

I was wondering why it was called "D5 STRONG" when in actual fact its not stronger than the old one...

Mycobacteria said:
I was wondering why it was called "D5 STRONG" when in actual fact its not stronger than the old one...

I am going to guess advertising scheme. It's locked in its "Strongest" setting so lets call it strong.

Could you just regulate the voltage to it with a fan controller and get the same affect?

--pak

Yes, just like with the D4. Personally I wouldn't if you only wanted to control the pump. A strong enough controller would probably eat up the difference in price between the D5-Strong and the D5-38.

the pump is 18w not many fan controller can deal with that. I would really becareful because if controller died pump would also stop running. the best thing to do for noise reduction is to suspend the pump

Back