• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Restart/Reboot Freeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rick G

Was hoping someone might have some thoughts regarding a system freeze during Windows restart or a reboot right after changing a bios setting. The freeze occurs before memory check. The workaround is to power off/on. Any changes are saved and the system works fine. Have visually checked all capacitors, so I don't think it's related to electronics.

Thoughts?

could be a number of things, tough question. I just reformatted and installed Me again and now for some strange reason i get the same thing but usually the PC has been running straight for 24hrs. this only happens with me about once every 20 to 40 boots so i'm not worried about it.

My freeze problem occurs consistently and at the same point in the reboot/restart cycle. Was looking for (hoping) that it was some obscure setting somewhere.

RainMaQer...I noticed that you have an ASUS mobo...any idea what the counterpart setting is on an Abit board (SoftMenu III)?

Thanks.

no but I can tell you that it controls the lead off cycles... something like the cas settings... I think... look for anything outside of the basic memory settings like cas latency and idle timer...

Tried the "Idle/Pipeline DRAM Leadoff" setting which defaults to Enabled. Definition: Adds a clock delay to the lead-off clock count.

Changed the setting to Disabled. The result was a video spaz-out during boot up.

It might be that "enabled" is much like the ASUS "normal".

Back