• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dumb or good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaine16

Registered
well summer is comin soon so room temp will go up and i was wonderin if gettin one of those LED screen thermostats or one form a fish place and drillin a hole in the cap of the reservoir and mountin it in there would be a good idea?

of course i would silicone the hole after i fed the sensor through and mount the LED screen on the side

i just want a easy way of tellin the temp of the water without stickin a freakin thermometer in there ROFL

If you've got a digital sensor this might be easier:

Take a short piece of 1/2" copper pipe and stick it in your loop where you want to take temps then attach your heat sensor to the pipe using a little Ceramique or thermal tape and secure it with electrical tape.

Next, wrap some foam around the copper pipe and a small portion of your tubing - maybe 1/4" each way from the pipe - and tape it in place using electrical tape. This will insulate the pipe from external the room temps. Standard pipe insulation available at any hardware store is perfect for this and is usually black, which is why I suggested electrical tape.

Plug in your sensor and you're ready to Rock. :)

You can do the same thing on your rad (w/out using the pipe) but you'll have to secure the foam to make sure the sensor isn't exposed to room temps. The foam will also need to cover a larger area away from the sensor because the metal rad will conduct heat better than the tubing will ...

Last edited:
but would i use a special digital thermometer from a fish store or can i use the thermometers that are placed under the heatsink

Back