• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial? Well, it's not CRUCIAL!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
I was just at Best Buy where I bought some Crucial memory, the 256megs of DDR that they have on sale. Anyway, I go to the counter and say, "I want a pack of that 256meg DDR on sale"

The guy reaches for it and hands it to me, just as I ask, "this is Crucial, right?" He looks at me and says, "yes". And I say, in an excited tone, "really? that is a really good price, as long as it is Crucial"...

He looks really confused and says to me "well, it isn't CRUCIAL!!!"

By this time I am looking at the pack of memory, and can see it is indeed genuine Crucial, so I say, "yes it is, look at the sticker."

He just goes, "well, yes the brand is Crucial, I thought you meant CRUCIAL!!!"

What did he think, like I wanted some kind of Emergency/Super Important, aka CRUCIAL memory?!?

I just couldn't hold in my smirk. :)

Yea man, its a good deal I got the last 3 they had at best buy yesterday for $35 each. They will do 153 fsb on my epox!

If you think Your day at best buy was funny, I remember when I was shopping for a hp scanner at best buy. The salesman told me I how I just had to have 2400dpi for my 8 x 10 photo's. Of course I proceeded to ask him if he had ever even scanned an 8 x 10 at 300dpi and check the file size.

Even better was the day when an elder lady shopping there ask me how many rams she needed in her computer? I told her what ever the number would be to get half that many goats too!

Last edited:
I find that funny, cause when i ask guys at Best Buy about technical computer stuff, they look at me all confused. I so cant wait till i get a job at a computer store.

Hahah that is funny..

I had some stories like that I traded in my TNT2 for a GeForce MX last time. Guy sent me to a warehouse where he gave me a GeForce 256. I went back complained and had to pay another 20 bux extra for it!

He gave me the response "They are the samething." Heh so much for being same of course when your always sitting on the desktop.

tsunami said:
Hahah that is funny..

I had some stories like that I traded in my TNT2 for a GeForce MX last time. Guy sent me to a warehouse where he gave me a GeForce 256. I went back complained and had to pay another 20 bux extra for it!

He gave me the response "They are the samething." Heh so much for being same of course when your always sitting on the desktop.

SAME HAPPEDED TO ME I ORDERED A 1500+XP PROCESSOR AND THEY SENT ME THE 1600+ EITHER WAY ITS RUNNING AT 2000+...

i LOVE SALES PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS..

Had the same problem with Best Buy. I mentioned that I had water cooling and all conversation ended. They followed me around but gave no more (bad) advice. The strange thing to me is that they asked no questions. It seems that there is no humility in ignorance.

My dad was just telling me about some guy at best buy who is into water cooling, and went to state finals for his water cooling project as a science experiment.

Now I wish he worked at my best buy as he would have something worthwhile to say. I could LEARN something from him.

jeez, i tried applying at bestbuy and circut city and office max, etc. and none of them would hire me!, hell i started talking to the sales people and the manager and i confused every single one of them. but i knew so much more than them they probably thought i was crazy so they dont want the insane person working there :p

BigRed said:
jeez, i tried applying at bestbuy and circut city and office max, etc. and none of them would hire me!, hell i started talking to the sales people and the manager and i confused every single one of them. but i knew so much more than them they probably thought i was crazy so they dont want the insane person working there :p

LOL thats crazy.. I think its all a big plot against us.. they only hire people that were allready brained washed :D

I do think it takes a special kind of person to deal with many of the people that shop for computers in Best Buy, however. You really need to be tolerant of people that are clueless, and even worse, people who are clueless, but don't know it!!!:)

Last edited:
i used to work at Best Buy untill about 2 months ago

nothing but a bunch of idiots

there were 2 Tech guys who were extremely smart

but other than that, nothing

i originally applied for a part time job their while i finish up my last semester in college

they told me i was going to be a tech and i was going to make 12 bucks an hour

well, they put me on the sales floor where i dominated in sales because i actually knew something

they told me that in a month i would move over to the tech department

needless to say, they figured that they would keep me on the floor and pay me 7 bucks

i was ****ed

the techs begged and pleaded with management to move me over there, after all, they were tired of doing 8 techs jobs because they were the only ones who knew anything over there

anyways, i told them to kiss my @SS when they told me i was not moving over there

Best Buy = Stupidity

ps thought this might be funny

a guy walked in and wondered why his memory would not work

well, maybe its because he cut a notch in a 184 pin Rambus module trying to make it fit in a Pc 100 (168 pin) slot

lol
lol
lol

we laughed for a week about that

Well all of you can knock Best Buy employees as much as you want. But the one thing you have to remember is that for every one computer geek we try to help there are 10 people that don't know what a cd-rom drive is. I've been working for Best Buy for 2 years now. I had to leave the computer dept because my brain was fried from hearing the worlds stupidest questions. Still I love to get the most out of my computer and if there is a person that would like to try it that comes into my store I will help them the best I can. I have had decent luck with OC'ing on all of my systems except the one I'm on since I built it 3 days ago. All I ask is have some respect. Our job isn't as easy as you think.

Shane6374 said:
Well all of you can knock Best Buy employees as much as you want. But the one thing you have to remember is that for every one computer geek we try to help there are 10 people that don't know what a cd-rom drive is. I've been working for Best Buy for 2 years now. I had to leave the computer dept because my brain was fried from hearing the worlds stupidest questions. Still I love to get the most out of my computer and if there is a person that would like to try it that comes into my store I will help them the best I can. I have had decent luck with OC'ing on all of my systems except the one I'm on since I built it 3 days ago. All I ask is have some respect. Our job isn't as easy as you think.

hey, I know its not easy...that is why I posted what I did above, about how you have to deal with clueless people, etc...

I started this thread just to share what I thought an amusing anecdote...that's all.

I was at microcenter the other day.

Ok:

Im looking at fan grilles, kvm switches etc... and am listening to a conversation this lady is having with the salesman

Lady: My laptop has no modem, so i bought an external, but now need the cable to hook up the laptop to the modem.

Salesman: Ok, you need a telephone cable.

Lady: No, not the cable that goes from the modem to the wall but from my laptop to the modem.

Salesman: Yeah, you need a phone cable for this.

Lady: No, not for the wall to phone. The laptop to modem.

Salesman: Ok, you need a PCMCIA adapter for your modem.

Lady: Ok, where are they?

So as the salesman is about to show the lady the PCMCIA modems, i butt in and tell her that she needs a null modem cable (serial...)

Lady asks where are they

I point them out to her and the guy felt like a total as*

Back