• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help chosing the right memory for Asus P5AD2-E Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chocho111

Hi All,

Newbie here.
I've seen the prices on 2GB DDR2 Dual channel memory going down recently and would like to buy a pair but am lost on what exactly will work with my Asus P5AD2-E Premium motherboard. Would appreciate your kind help.

I currently have 2 x 512MB= 1024MB installed. It is OCZ with copper sinks but not sure of the exact model without having to open my PC. I think it is 533Mhz.
Would like to add 2 x 1Gb = 2GB new memory to a total of 3GB.

I've been looking at the Kingston 2Gb (2x1Gb) ValueRAM DDR2-667 Dual Channel Kit - KVR667D2N5K2/2G for under $100 canadian.
But not sure if it will work in my system?!?
Tried calling Kingston and Asus and the best I could get from them was "it might" ?!?
The Asus tech support adviced me to ask here...

He was saying I must be careful to have the same speed/latency first digit as the memory already installed on my machine.
The whole thing is very confusing and I hope someone could recommend me a solution.
If the abover memory works fine if not what else to buy in the 2 x 1Gb size that will for sure work for me with what I have so far. I am not interested in overclocking etc.

Thank you kindly.

:welcome: to the forum!

First of all, I don't believe the i925XE chipset will run different modules in dual channel mode. This means you have to choose between:
- Finding another two identical modules to the ones you have for a total of 4x 512MB = 2GB.
- Replacing the existing memory with new memory (ie: 2x 1GB = 2GB).
- Using 2x 512MB and 2x 1GB in single channel mode and losing half your memory bandwidth.

If you don't have it already, you can download CPUZ from here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

It will tell you all sorts of great things. If you could post the following it would help:
- "CPU" tab - bus speed:
- "Mainboard" tab - BIOS version:
- "Memory" tab - frequency:
- "SPD" tab - manufacturer & part number:

The Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G should work fine in your board. As long as the memory is rated for 1.8v you shouldn't have any problems.

JCLW,

thank you for the kind "welcome" and the good advice.
Downloaded and run CPUZ here is what it shows in answer to your questions:

Bus speed - 200.7 Mhz
BIOS version - 1005.002
Frequency - 267.6 MHz
Manufacturer & part number - OCZ, OCZ25331024PFDC-K

While waiting on someone to help me I've been reading and searching the net and did find one more good memory deal from NCIX.com
They are having the: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC5400 DDR2-667 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory on sale until May 8 for $99.99 Canadian.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index....X2048-5400C4&manufacture=CORSAIR&promoid=1030
Not sure what they'll charge for shipping but checking with the Corsair.com it says this particular memory should work on my P5AD2-E Premium MB in the so called "Enthusiast" category.

Considering the three options you've listed:

- Finding another two identical modules to the ones you have for a total of 4x 512MB = 2GB.
- Replacing the existing memory with new memory (ie: 2x 1GB = 2GB).
- Using 2x 512MB and 2x 1GB in single channel mode and losing half your memory bandwidth.

The only option that I like is the second one - i.e. throwing away my current memory and replacing it with 2 x 1GB or maybe even 4 x 1GB.

Could you please advice me on:
Kingston 2Gb (2x1Gb) ValueRAM DDR2-667 Dual Channel Kit - KVR667D2N5K2/2G

Vs.

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC5400 DDR2-667 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory

Kingston web site does not specificaly recommend using this memory on my board and the Corsair web site does recommend the model above for my MB. They both sell for the same price but I may have to pay shipping on the Corsair (but not PST) and be able to pick the Kingston localy (no shipping but have to pay PST). So about the same price wise.

And last question - Any chance I could get something for my OCZ25331024PFDC-K as it is only about a year old and in perfect condition with coper sinks etc.? Any idea where I can sell it and get something for it? This will make it easier to just purchase 4 x 1GB of one of the two RAM's above.

Will I have any problems running total of 4GB RAM on my MB? Will I need to overclock it or is it simply plug and play thing?

Thank you again for your kind help.

Last edited:
They should both work with that board.

The Corsair will be slightly faster, as it is rated 4-4-4-12 and the Kingston is only rated 5-5-5-15 (this is the latency so lower is better).

If the Corsair lists the memory as being specifically compatible then that might bring some peace of mind as well.

Where are you located?

I am in Georgetown, Ontario but travel all over GTA weekly as part of my work.
Thanks.

Back