• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New db-1 WC setup (56k warn)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeffnWV

decided to give the new db-1's a try and have 2 of them in series for my main loop and a replacement ddc-2 for 2nd loop.

My DDC-2 started dying last week so I had a replacement sent out and decided to pick up stuff for my second loop. Decided on a lower powered pump (db-1) and after talking about it's performance with Petra Tech, decided to give a couple in series a shot...
I figured since my loop is VERY short and it's just the CPU and 2 GPU blocks and a pa 120.3, they should perform well.
I left the Petra's top off of the DDC-2 and am running MCW30's on the NB/SB and have 2 memory sinks in the second loop and a Black Ice Pro (BIP).

Here's some pics:

Bracket

I mod'd an old HHD cage to make this bracket so my pump can be installed between the cards

Attachments

• bracket1.JPG
    bracket1.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 326
pics of loops completed

Attachments

• loopdone1.JPG
    loopdone1.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 316
I incorporated the Swiftech "F" fittings to pull 1/4 lines off of the 7/16 tubing for my memory sinks.

They're ugly but...oh well

Attachments

• loopdone2.JPG
    loopdone2.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 316
You dont use the PCI slot where the pump goes?

Im a little confused as to where things are goin could you plz draw out a flow diagram eg:

Pump>cpuWB>res>rad> NB WB > SB WB > RAM etc etc etc

oh my

that IS alot of tubing.

Id love to see more of your pump/resevior setup, that is the only thing I was torn about when it came to placement.

also, I know you put the 120.3 radiator under the case, how does that work in regards to the removeable tray? your first pic it looks like its pulled, I assume you have to drain and disconnect that?

I was racking my brain to figure a way to pull the whole mobo and take all of the water cooling with it. just completely impossible from what I could tell. short of randomly suspending the radiator over the mobo...

hi guys,
Myc: I could run my SB Audigy in that PCI slot. I actually had it in there and decided since I got the single slot brackets for my 8800gtx's that I would run it at the very top now. Yes I can still use that PCI slot if I needed to, but I don't see that happening...ever :) I have some close up clearance pics with the sound card in that slot if you care to see em.

The top GPU....yes I ran an elbow out and over to the inlet of the pumps in series, then instead of capping the other port off. I ran another elbow and a 7" tube for a reservoir. It just ends up in the top of the case. It's effectively the same thing as capping it off, but serves the reservoir purpose.

ares:
Yes that IS alot of tubing...and I struggle with it. My single loop looked so clean and tidy...it wouldn't be near as bad if I didn't have the memory sinks wc'd...those big F fittings wouldn't be in there either.

I will post some closer pics of pumps

I really like your setup , Have you noticed any gains in your mem oc with having them on water ?

||Console|| said:
I really like your setup , Have you noticed any gains in your mem oc with having them on water ?

It's still bleeding as I write this, won't have system running till tomorrow.

pump placement...DDC-2 is inbetween 8800 gfx cards. db-1's in series mounted on back wall

edit: I spun the DDC-2 clockwise 90 deg for final setup, what's in the picture didn't appeal to me after it was run.

Attachments

• pumps1.JPG
    pumps1.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 281
So how would you say the two db-1's in series stack up against a DDC-2 with top?

I'm considering going with db-1's in series for my next setup. Placing silence over performance (of course I still want as much performance as I can get :))

changed my loop setup and have the 2 db-1's running second loop (blue) (db-1's are on left side with delrin elbows)...(ddc-2 ultra on right mounted on bracket)
Depending on what you are going to cool, the DDC-2 ultra is still gonna be more powerful/efficient for a more restrictive loop.
you could effectively use a db-1 to cool just a cpu or a NB/SB loop. more than a cpu in a loop, I would suggest the ddc, but temps (e6600 @ 3.6ghz) I have seen for my main loop (cpu/gpu/gpu) only varied a couple of degrees between using 2 db-1's in series and a ddc-2 ultra...and I am using the less restrictive pa 120.3. Can't say anything about temps using other rads...and keep in mind my main loop is only 25" of tubing.

I will say that the 2 db-1's in series are quieter than the ddc2 ultra. and fwiw, if the best possible temp scores aren't important (maybe 3 deg max), then the db-1's in series would make you very happy.

Attachments

• relooped.jpg
    relooped.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Jeff. I think I'm gonna have to go with the db-1's in series just for the heck of it, maybe I can do some testing too and compare against a D5 I have.

Definitely keeping the loop as low restriction as possible. Probably just Fuzion, MCW60, MCR320(just can't afford that sweet PA.)

And BTW nice setup!

Back