• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brass pipes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Contra

what do you guys think about using brass pipes for a water cooling system instead of mayon tubing
it would be 3/8 not 1/2 but do you think the pipes would help disperse the heat better?

also no kinks to worry about either

If you want a tube that disipates heat get tygon silver. Silver is impregnated into the tubes (just like the silver that disipates heat in AS5)

Mycobacteria said:
If you want a tube that disipates heat get tygon silver. Silver is impregnated into the tubes (just like the silver that disipates heat in AS5)

Isn't that like saying "hey if line this concrete channel with copper the heat transfer will noticably improve. I hate to tell you this but Tygon silver has a silver lining it doesn't have in silver in the PVC mix. The difference in heat dissapation between the two is so small it really doesn't matter one way or another.

As far as piping goes I would use 1/2" Cu pipe if I really really really wanted pipes becuase the cost difference is pretty small between Cu and brass. As far as some negatives to Cu or Brass piping it does have greater head loss than PVC pipe and it is a pain if you ever have to fix anything.

youd be better served with adding another radiator.

the actual surface area of the tubing vs that of even a single fan radiator would be ridiculous.

plus, no telling if the air blowing on the tubes is actually cooling the water, or if your cooling the case instead.

ares350 said:
youd be better served with adding another radiator.

the actual surface area of the tubing vs that of even a single fan radiator would be ridiculous.

plus, no telling if the air blowing on the tubes is actually cooling the water, or if your cooling the case instead.
I agree 100%.

just stick with the proper tubing, you only risk leaks and possible damage if you use gear un-intended for use or tried and tested in a computer. With tubing it is easier to use clips to press the pipe ends onto the block barbs to produce a nice water tight seal, that would be difficult with metal on metal - you'd have to use some kind of silicon sealant to make sure the clips were water tight.

Does tygon help dissipate heat or not? If it does, I guess the price tag is justified and I might try it.

--pak

Just stick with PVC tubing and if you want more cooling, increase the size of the radiator or add a second one. The benefit of metal tubing is far outweighed by it's disadvantages. The goal of the system is to cool the water back to ambient by the time it exits the radiator(s).

the thing is, the fault in watercooling is not in the dissipation of heat. your limitations are in wicking the heat away from the cpu. the temp of the water varying by a degree or 2 is inconsequential to that. if you want better results, use peltiers or something. to use copper tubing would be a million times the work for maybe .1% benefit.

cool just wondering and by the way the tubing is this and easily bent

but i see you points and i do have 2 Corvette rads just not that much room in the cube i just might get the big cube...

pak said:
Does tygon help dissipate heat or not? If it does, I guess the price tag is justified and I might try it.

--pak

im happy with it, it performs well with a good pump like the MCP655 or the Laing D5

Well I believe the silver tubes disipate heat better... How much heat is disipated is hard to say...

But even if the silver tube is 1% better overall, its something worth considering.

I look at many of you OCFers constantly looking for small increases in preformance all the time: eg storm revision 2 over old storm wb, applying AS5, lapping a HSF. They all provide slight improvements in preformance, its not ground breaking 0 degrees kelvin... but every little bit helps.

And yes the silver tubes bend quite well, and dont kink that easy...

Mycobacteria said:
Well I believe the silver tubes disipate heat better... How much heat is disipated is hard to say...

But even if the silver tube is 1% better overall, its something worth considering.

I look at many of you OCFers constantly looking for small increases in preformance all the time: eg storm revision 2 over old storm wb, applying AS5, lapping a HSF. They all provide slight improvements in preformance, its not ground breaking 0 degrees kelvin... but every little bit helps.

And yes the silver tubes bend quite well, and dont kink that easy...
Ok, let us assume it is 2% better at dissipating heat than regular PVC tubing. The temp difference between the whole loop should only be about 3c.

3 * .02 = .06c (assuming PVC removes no heat)

Let's try 15%:

3 * .15 = .45c (assuming PVC removes no heat)

So, that is such a small difference, it would maybe affect your CPU temps by .5-1c. Not really worth it.

Also, someone said that they are lined with silver, that means they have the same stuff around the silver like the other tubing, making it NO different than the other tubing, except for it being silver.

Surface area of silver tube = 3.14159 x 1.9 cm = 5.9629 x (length) ie how much tube you use.

As I say even if its a 1% better its ALL good.

speed bump said:
I hate to tell you this but Tygon silver has a silver lining it doesn't have in silver in the PVC mix.
Even if the tubing is coated with gold, it doesn't change the fact that the worst heat transfering part of the tubing is still the PVC! You can coat the inside with whatever you want, it still does not increase the cooling potential of the tubing as a whole.

Back