• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Configuring sequence of a W/C system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redham

Registered
I have the following parts coming in my new E6600 in my Lian PC75 W/C conversion

Danger Den Black Ice Xtreme III Radiator (Triple 120s)
Swiftech Apogee GT Block
Swiftech MCP655
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO™ Reservoir
Components for a T-Line (Perhaps redundant with a reservoir but makes things easier to fill and drain and I add on gpu blocks)

Whats the best sequence to have this system in?
I'm thinking:

CPU block
T-Line
Pump
Resevior
Radiator

Thanks

Mine goes:
Reservoir > Pump > Radiator > CPU > back to reservoir.

I think the most important thing is to have your CPU right after the radiator.

kbtat2 said:
Mine goes:
Reservoir > Pump > Radiator > CPU > back to reservoir.

I think the most important thing is to have your CPU right after the radiator.
I've read a few posts and I think the general consensus is:
General Consensus said:
It doesn't matter.
I've tried a few combinations and noticed absolutely no difference. I'd recommend just keeping the tubing as short as possible. The water temp throughout the entire loop should only vary by a few c.

thideras said:
I've read a few posts and I think the general consensus is:
I've tried a few combinations and noticed absolutely no difference. I'd recommend just keeping the tubing as short as possible. The water temp throughout the entire loop should only vary by a few c.

He's got it. Whatever loop requires the least ammount of tubing.

well you do need resevior>pump, there can be stuff in between, but there MUST be stuff in between the pump and resevior to keep from shooting water up into it.

if you dont need a tline, dont use one. add it when its needed, cutting the tubing to add a T is a 2second change. but in the meantime, its a possible leak, extra resistance, and maybe it never gets used.

have the cpu block before the VGA block in the loop, have the coolest water heading to the cpu first - thats the most temp sensitive

LeAd_Poisoning said:
have the cpu block before the VGA block in the loop, have the coolest water heading to the cpu first - thats the most temp sensitive

Water temp in the loop "normalizes" meaning the temp through out the loop is the same.

Like The Rock says, "It doesn't matter!"

Just make sure you can put water to the inlet when filling the system and shortest tubes possible.

--pak

well there is a difference but at "best" you get 0.5C difference, as previously said tubing length will have a greater impact on temp so go for shorter loop over component order

Hold on!!!

Surely the water cummin out of a RAD would be cooler than the water goin into the RAD?

If there was no difference in temperature thoughout the loop which you guys seem to be implying the theory would be: The temperature of the water goin into the rad is the same as the temperature of water cummin out of the RAD. If this is the case why do you even bother usin a RAD?

Wouldnt you want cool water to hit the CPU first? Then after the water is hot wouldnt you want to cool it down in your RAD?

ie Pump > CPU > RAD > RES

Another thing Considering I want the order: Pump > CPU > RAD > RES at the cost of added tube lengh.

Does the added 2-3 foot of added tube length hurt my water cooling preformance? If so buy how much? Or was this idea of "shortest tube lenght possible" invented by a dude that couldnt afford an extra foot of tube?

Did he say that the T line will help him add a GPU water block? How does that work?

Last edited:
Mycobacteria said:
Hold on!!!

Surely the water cummin out of a RAD would be cooler than the water goin into the RAD?

If there was no difference in temperature thoughout the loop which you guys seem to be implying the theory would be: The temperature of the water goin into the rad is the same as the temperature of water cummin out of the RAD. If this is the case why do you even bother usin a RAD?

Wouldnt you want cool water to hit the CPU first? Then after the water is hot wouldnt you want to cool it down in your RAD?

Yes, you are correct, it won't be the same throughout the entire loop. But you need to remember, no matter where in the loop a component is, it still dumps it heat in the loop and the heat dissipates in the radiator. And no it is not worth the 2-3 tubing increase, basic rule, shortest tubing = lowest temps (in MOST situations).

Mycobacteria said:
Did he say that the T line will help him add a GPU water block? How does that work?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question...:confused:

Mycobacteria said:
Hold on!!!

Remember: we're not talking about one cycle of the loop. We're talking about a continuous cycle. The radiator dissipates heat on a continuous basis, cycle after cycle. It's not as if the water entering the rad is 5C warmer than the water leaving the rad. In the end, the water temperature pretty much equalizes throughout the loop - with about a .5C difference between the warmest and coolest spots, IIRC.

The water in your loop is never "cool". In most loops, it's never close to ambient; instead, it's always carrying latent heat energy away from the water block(s). It never really has a chance to "cool down", but because of water's high heat carrying capacity, even in this "warmed" stage it's still picking up heat from the block(s).

Unless you have 6 storm blocks in series, the difference between water entering/exiting the radiator is at most .2°C .

It doesn't matter. Put the t-line/res before the pump inlet so you can prime/bleed easier, that's about it.

get ya one of these to flush and fill...]
$8 at Home Depot :D

Attachments

• drillpump.JPG
    drillpump.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 73
Back