• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asyncronous Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
I just got a new mobo, an Iwill DVD266u-RN. It has the Via Apollo 266T chipset, and can the memory asyncronous with the FSB. To those that need more explanation lets just put it like this: if you are running the CPU at 100 MHz the memory could be used at 100 or at 133 MHz.

Now the question: I have read that there seems to be some problems with running the memory asyncronous, has anyone good experience? If I will be running higher grade memory, will this corret the problems?

THKS

the problem is that you can easily push your RAM to ridiculously high speeds. My VIA board does the same thing, a Soyo 6VBA133, a P3 board. When the FSB is set to the "100" range, you can run the RAM at + or -33, so right now my system has a FSB of 115 and RAM is at 153. It goes as high as 170 mhz.. you can imagine how hard that is on normal RAM:D

I don't think there is any native problems inherent from asynchronously running your RAM tho, I know I sure haven't noticed any.

What the Monster said. I've ran my ram at FSB and FSB + PCI without problems on my board (KT133 chipset). That doesn't mean that your board won't have problems though, apparently the ECS SIS735 board has big problems with async speed settings.

Well, the was exactly to push the memory to

push your RAM to ridiculously high speeds.

I'll be buying 2400 DDR RAM, so I was expecting to run this babies close to the 150 to test them and see if SETI likes it.....:)

Back