• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of taking "the dip"...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
From the "how to post" thread

* List why you want to watercool. Is it noise, preformance, abit of both, or to be the only guy in the retirement home with a watercooled A64.

Performance... I'd like to get more from my Opteron 170. Nice stepping, it's just getting to hot to push it anymore.

* List your budget. From small to large, watercooling parts can be selected to fit your budget.

Relatively small. If I could get into my first setup for ~$100-150 that would be ideal.

* List what tools you have or have access and how profficient you are with them.

I've got access to just about anything I need. My pops just built his own car (kit car). So I think I've got that covered. I'm decently skilled with tools, and anything else the old man can help me with.

* List what kind of encloser (case) you have. And whether you are willing to cut it up.

I think this will be going in an Antec SLK-3700B (that's a link to the newer 3800, but the layout is the same) Yes, this case is already slightly modded. Back, front, and side fan grills have all been removed and replaced with finger guards. Also I've added a "blowhole" (custom cut, no circular saw) w/a 120mm fan exhausting.

BUT... if I don't have to do any more dremeling, it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

* List what computer parts you have (basics like CPU, motherboard) or will be getting for your watercooled monster.

CPU: Opteron 170
MOBO: DFI LanParty Ultra-D
PSU: FSP AX-500A "Blue Storm"
RAM: (whichever sticks I feel like using)

Here's some pics of the cutting I've already done

DSCN2975_1.jpg DSCN2968_1.jpg DSCN3092_1.jpg

Here's a pic of how it looks as it sits today

HPIM0375_1.jpg

Bump... hello!? H to WC'ing guys. I think I posted the requested info. Any help mates?

Did you cut the hole in the top of the case yourself? If you did nice work...measure up and cut another one so you can install a dual rad up top. Take some inspiration from the dude with the black lian li...

Obviously you have to move that DVD rom down a couple of spots...

Danger den D 5 pump if you have room for it somewhere.

Apoge GT (semi budget, but good prefromance)

Some tubes 1/2" ID...

Swiftec micro res or a nice T line what ever suits you. 4

Clockwork_Apple said:
What's that fan sitting over the PSU in the top left for? :eh?:
likely is mounted in the side panel...has it resting on the case since the wiring is tucked away and a pain to unhook

you can always mount the rad and fans on the back of the case utilizing a 3-120mm rad. Wouldn't take much thought and work to fab up a bracket and hinge kit like that used in the nifty Koolance kit...I've even been thinking about making one for my Lian-Li V1100 case

Mycobacteria said:
Did you cut the hole in the top of the case yourself? If you did nice work...measure up and cut another one so you can install a dual rad up top. Take some inspiration from the dude with the black lian li...

Obviously you have to move that DVD rom down a couple of spots...

Danger den D 5 pump if you have room for it somewhere.

Apoge GT (semi budget, but good prefromance)

Some tubes 1/2" ID...

Swiftec micro res or a nice T line what ever suits you. 4

Yes... all cutting was done by hand with a dremel and tidy up by hand with various files. If I cut another up top and go for the dual rad approach, I'm guessing these two holes up top would become intakes for the rad(s)?

Do you have a link to the lian-li you're referencing? I'd like to see what this guy did.

Clockwork_Apple said:
What's that fan sitting over the PSU in the top left for?

That fan actually "clips" over the RAM, giving it some downdraft. The Ultra-90 I'm using on the CPU gives me no airflow over the RAM or the mobo. The "clip" on the fan is just some hanger wire wrapped in electrical tape. This approach seems to work well, and I use it on most all of my rigs.

Thanks for the help guys... keep it coming! :thup:

Back