• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2gb or 4gb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have just put another 2 gig in my Vista Fx60 rig and its made my Vista experience a whole lot nicer, With 2 gig of ram i had bad audio problems when playing mp3's (onboard audio) Video stutter and sound probs for the first 10 mins in 2142, it seemed to sort itself after the first 10 mins a little..

While most would agree that 4 would be better than two, unless you're running Vista x64, Windows will not recognize all 4gb.

If you read this thread you will see that Windows, including Vista, reserves a gig for the kernel in the 32bit version. This means you put in 4gb and vista will say you have 3gb to work with. Unless you're going with the 64bit version I'm not sure I would recommend spending to buy the extra gig that you won't be using anyway.

DWolf

DreamingWolf said:
While most would agree that 4 would be better than two, unless you're running Vista x64, Windows will not recognize all 4gb.

If you read this thread you will see that Windows, including Vista, reserves a gig for the kernel in the 32bit version. This means you put in 4gb and vista will say you have 3gb to work with. Unless you're going with the 64bit version I'm not sure I would recommend spending to buy the extra gig that you won't be using anyway.

DWolf
4gb garanteed

The rig in his sig doesn't have a 64bit chip. Why not just put in the three he'll be able to use? How does adding the fourth, which windows won't recognize, improve his performance?

DWolf?

DreamingWolf said:
The rig in his sig doesn't have a 64bit chip. Why not just put in the three he'll be able to use? How does adding the fourth, which windows won't recognize, improve his performance?

DWolf?
If you do it with 3 DIMMs you will lose dual channel performance and possibly some stability. If you do it with 2 x 512mb and 2 x 1gb you will be mixing memory which is best avoided.

One consideration is how dirt cheap you can get 4gigs these days. You can probably buy 4gb for about what you buy 3gb. And, if you buy a matched 4gb you will be assured of no ICs conflicts or other potential problems from mixing and matching RAM types, sizes, densities, etc. And, if you run 4gb on a 32bit OS and get, for example, an usable 3gb, that's still a substantial increase over 2gb.

More and more 4gb kits are popping up in both 4 x 1gb or 2 x 2gb flavors.

mcoleg said:
how about 3GB? 2x1GB sticks + 2x512MB? that will work :p
Probably, but, there are no guarantees. The only way to know for sure is to install and test. However, as I said above, you WILL be mixing different ICs which is best avoided.

Back