• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 gigs ram issue with Vista x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

legionaire45

Hey guys, I've been having some trouble getting 4 gigs of Ram and Vista Ultimate x64 working together. I have tested all the dimms and they work in all slots on their own. They all pass 2 hours of memtest with no errors. I have tried upping the voltage (the memory is 2 sets of Wintec AmpX 2 x 1GB 1.8 volt memory). I'm running this on a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3. Voltage and timing settings on the board are correctly set.

What the thing does it that when I try and boot up with 4 gigs of ram installed as soon as it tries and loads Vista (as in shows the loading bar) it reboots. When I try and boot it in safe mode it gets to a file called "chcdisk.sys" or something (I'm not positive if that was the name) and then reboots the same way it does normally. With 3 gigs it boots fine. Right now I'm using it and with 3 gigs it is stable in counter strike source and with several hours of 3DS Max usage. Anyone have any idea what it could be? My other system specs are in my sig. Also. nothing is overclocked at all.

I run an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe and there are two settings in my BIOS that have to be set correctly for me to get 4gb to work. They are MTRR Mapping, which determines whether the limits of the memory hole that goes with 4+gb of memory are clearly defined or not, and Hardware Memory Hole, which enables the processor to 'remap' memory usage around the memory hole.

You might want to check your users manual and/or BIOS to see if you might have a similar option set incorrectly.

DWolf

UglyChild said:
have you tried 2.1v??
yup, no go still.
DreamingWolf said:
I run an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe and there are two settings in my BIOS that have to be set correctly for me to get 4gb to work. They are MTRR Mapping, which determines whether the limits of the memory hole that goes with 4+gb of memory are clearly defined or not, and Hardware Memory Hole, which enables the processor to 'remap' memory usage around the memory hole.

You might want to check your users manual and/or BIOS to see if you might have a similar option set incorrectly.

DWolf
I'll give that a shot. I'm not sure I saw any setting like that but I may not know exactly what I'm looking for. I'll re-download the manual and see if they named it something cryptic =P.

Alright, sorry for the double post but I looked through the BIOS and saw nothing to the effect of MTRR or HMH or anything like that. Nothing even close =(. If I want to use my extra gig of ram will I have to go buy a new motherboard? I hope not after spending $200 on 4 gigs of ram....

So much for Gigabyte's board being "Vista ready". The board is supposed to support up to 8 gigs of ram =/.

legionaire45 said:
So much for Gigabyte's board being "Vista ready". The board is supposed to support up to 8 gigs of ram =/.
I'm running a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with 8GBs of RAM using Vista Business 64-bit and I haven't had any problems. I didn't have to set anything in the BIOS. Before Vista, I used XP 64-bit and didn't have any trouble there either. I've even got my system overclocked.

Google crcdisk.sys. (not chcdisk.sys) There's a ton of people with the same problem. I just scanned through some posts and it seems to be driver/device related. Is this a fresh install? Are you installing to an unpartitioned disk? Are you dual booting? Do you have USB devices connected to your system during the install? If I were you, I would eliminate all the potential problems. I would wipe the disk clean of any partitions and install with the bare minimum. No thumb drives, no USB hard disks, no dual booting, etc. See if that solves your problem. If it does, you can at least eliminate the RAM and motherboard.

Good luck!

Atomic Dawg said:
I'm running a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with 8GBs of RAM using Vista Business 64-bit and I haven't had any problems. I didn't have to set anything in the BIOS. Before Vista, I used XP 64-bit and didn't have any trouble there either. I've even got my system overclocked.

Google crcdisk.sys. (not chcdisk.sys) There's a ton of people with the same problem. I just scanned through some posts and it seems to be driver/device related. Is this a fresh install? Are you installing to an unpartitioned disk? Are you dual booting? Do you have USB devices connected to your system during the install? If I were you, I would eliminate all the potential problems. I would wipe the disk clean of any partitions and install with the bare minimum. No thumb drives, no USB hard disks, no dual booting, etc. See if that solves your problem. If it does, you can at least eliminate the RAM and motherboard.

Good luck!

I didn't have any Flash drives in at all when I installed so that can't be the issue. I installed a fresh copy from a newly partitioned drive so that shouldn't be an issue either. I'm not dual booting and I'm pretty sure the only thing I had plugged in at the time that would qualify as something off the wall is the LCD for my G15. I can't reinstall with 4 gigs in because it BSODs as soon as it starts transferring files, if I go ahead and reinstall it should I install with 3 gigs installed or do you think it will just do the same thing again?

A few things before we really dig into it...
  1. "NEC 3550A black w/ IDE>SATA Adapter". Ditch the IDE>SATA adapter and see what happens. Many of the posts I read concerning crcdisk.sys had to do with SATA devices and drivers.

2. Ditch the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Ed. just to eliminate another variable.

3. You only have one hard drive, right? Make sure it's connected to the orange sata connectors on the motherboard. The orange connectors are for the Intel ICH8.
In your first post, you said you have a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3. Is this correct or do you have the GA-965P-DS3? The GA-965G-DS3 has built-in graphics.

If this doesn't reveal the problem, we'll dig deeper. Let me know!

Atomic Dawg said:
A few things before we really dig into it...
  1. "NEC 3550A black w/ IDE>SATA Adapter". Ditch the IDE>SATA adapter and see what happens. Many of the posts I read concerning crcdisk.sys had to do with SATA devices and drivers.

2. Ditch the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Ed. just to eliminate another variable.

3. You only have one hard drive, right? Make sure it's connected to the orange sata connectors on the motherboard. The orange connectors are for the Intel ICH8.
In your first post, you said you have a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3. Is this correct or do you have the GA-965P-DS3? The GA-965G-DS3 has built-in graphics.

If this doesn't reveal the problem, we'll dig deeper. Let me know!
It's the G. All the local store had and I needed a good board at the time. I have the integrated graphics disabled thank god. Might as well hand draw the frames if it were enabled xD.

I'll see what pulling the IDE>SATA adapter does for me. Right now I'm not really gaining anything from the sound blaster card so I'll pull that for now too and see if that helps.

OK, I took the audigy and sata adapter out and still no go. I know it has worked with 4 completely differant modules at a time so it is for sure not the slots and the board works correctly with 4 sticks in. this is making me sad =(

Alright, figured out my issue. Apparently BIOS revision F7 doesn't like >3 gigs of ram. All I had to do to it was upgrade to F8 and that let me boot into Vista.

Atomic Dawg said:
Woot! Very cool. I knew it had to support 2x2GB. Rock on man!
thanks for all the suggeestions dude. It was 4 x 1 gig, but same differance.

I still want a 680i board....it is smexy xD.

I had the same problem on my MSI board and a BIOS update fixed it and I believe the ASUS 650i boards had a similiar problem that a BIOS update fixed. Kinda weird that three big companies(possibly more) had the same issues.

DreamingWolf said:

DWolf

What settings are you using?

VISTA x64 finds 4GB ram with Memory Hole enabled but i still have MTRR on continuous

Back